General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Has anyone had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone had this problem?

Ok about a year ago my car wouldnt start at random times. I would try to jump it charge it no matter what I did it wouldnt start. finally it died and that was it. I replaced the battery still nothing. I brought it in to a dealer ship and they said it was the ignition system and the the chip that was in the key had goen bad and thats why the car wasnt starting. They replace the entire ignition system and gave me new keys. Now the car seems like its beened drained and wont hold a charge. I just drove the car for the past 25 min and its been sitting for less than an hour and it now wont start. Nothing will even come on in the car witht the key in the ignition. Please help.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you have a major problem with your alternator not charging. If it was a problem with the chip in the key, the ignition would still turn on, the car just wouldn't start. I would take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix the car right this time and tell them you know it isn't the key and not to bullshit you. Make sure you speak to a manager, but be tactfull. I would also tell them you want them to give you the money back for the new ignition system since that OBVIOUSLY wasn't the problem. Tell them you want them to check the Charging System and also for a Parasitic Drain.
Good Luck,
Let me know what you find out.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

+1 for the alternator
Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a jump and you can turn your car over,... look at your Battery guage,... usually the needle always sits at half-way,... If it NOW looks WAY over the halfway point,.... the altinator took a poopy!!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I took a look at the car the next morning and check the battery(12.5v) but when I put the volt meter to the harness side it was 0.0. Took the connections off and check the side terminals of the battery and it was 12.5v. So i cleaned the terminals a little bit with a wire brush and connected them again tight and the car started up. Anyone have any remidies for this for the future?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Not really, just make sure there is a good connection and the terminals are clean (battery terminal cleaner or coca cola works good too, just rinse it off afterward). Also, make sure there is no corrosion on the wires behind the terminal connector, if so, you may need to replace them.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanna hear something funny. that coca cola thing actually works too!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

yeah check for a parastic draw. something in your car is staying on or drawing major power from your battery. do you have a sub and amp. or anyother electronics. check for wiring issues. also check the alternator. use a voltage tester and make sure the battery is fully charged. then start the car and watch to see how your voltage reacts. does it drop? alternator is the first replacement. and if you took it to a GM service shop and they did that to you. that is definatly not kosher.