General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changed water pump and its overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed water pump and its overheating

I changed my water pump and thermostat today and when i started my car the temp guage was reaching over towards the red mark i shut my car off way before going past the third bar. after that i checked the radiatior cap slowly to see if had pressure and nothing came out, so then i go for a test drive for about 2 blocks to check things out, still no pressure so i decided to drive a little further while the guage was still moving up, then as i was crusing on a nice straight away at 25 mph the guage started to go down towards the first bar then go to the halfway mark then it started to fluctuate between the halfway mark and the third bar but why, im guessing it needs to be bled but what is the proper procedure for the bleeding the cooling system oh and my car is a 94 lt1.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

you have air in the cooling system. I had the same prob i just let the car run with the rad cap off and kept topping it off with the hose pipe until all the air was out of the system. im sure there is a more correct way of doin this but thats how i did it and it worked
Old 11-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Teching In

thanks im going to give that a try
Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssman00
you have air in the cooling system. I had the same prob i just let the car run with the rad cap off and kept topping it off with the hose pipe until all the air was out of the system. im sure there is a more correct way of doin this but thats how i did it and it worked
That sounds easy enough, what other way is there?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

They have bleeder screws you open up....then let pressure build up and do it again like bleeding brakes.

its easy either way. Good luck!