General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird problem...

Old 11-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem...

Hey guys, recently my front O2 sensors both went bad. My father is a DM for a auto repair company in Florida so he took it in for what we thought would be a simple "order the parts, install, out the door" procedure. Unfortunately we were unable to replace the driver side 02 sensor (bank 1 sensor 1). The part number on the parts matched exactly to what GM said it was. I checked on this website and the part number through AC-Delco matched exactly. The problem was that the driver side o2 sensor cable was too short. It was exactly the same length as the passenger side (around 12 inches), but the sensor needed for my car required a cable around 18 inches long. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? We tried 4 different suppliers and called 3 different dealerships. No one seems to understand why the cable on my car does not match the replacement part. It will not fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike (car is a 2001 Trans Am)
Old 11-17-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have longtube headers, extensions are required. The other option is to order corvette rear o2 sensors as they have a longer cable.

All 4 of my O2 sensors off my stock exhaust are the same length and type. I used extensions on mine so that would leave me a spare.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SladeX
if you have longtube headers, extensions are required. The other option is to order corvette rear o2 sensors as they have a longer cable.

All 4 of my O2 sensors off my stock exhaust are the same length and type. I used extensions on mine so that would leave me a spare.

I am talking about the front O2 sensors. Anyone else have any idea?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear vette O2s SladeX is referring to work for our front O2s and are long enough to not need extensions.

Bosch 13111 the p/n for these O2s.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wazup340
I am talking about the front O2 sensors. Anyone else have any idea?
Slade was talking about your front 02's. You either need rear vette sensors or extensions.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i take it you didnt put the lt headers on it. because if you use the o2's for it in the front and with out extenions it wont fit. the person that pulled them out didnt unclip extons from the harness did they and just think it was 1 peice?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I ordered the Bosch 13111 o2s for a Corvette. I will see how that goes.

^^^ Fuseone I'm not sure what they did, I was away for the weekend when he took my car and I was only being updated by phone. Even weirder thing now is that the Service Engine Light was on and when we scanned it, it said both front O2s were bad. Replaced the right side only and the light has not come back on since. Going to replace left side anyways. Thanks for the replies!

Search this Thread