General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Just Changed My Oil.. Check Gauges And Change Oil Light On

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Changed My Oil.. Check Gauges And Change Oil Light On

I just changed my oil not even 5 miles ago (today). Now the check gauges light is on. The oil change light has always been on ever since I bought the car which was 2 weeks ago but I haven't driven it much since I bought it.. Maybe about 250 miles since. Oh and by the way, How much oil do these car's hold? It's a '00 Firehawk M6.. If that helps. I had two LT1's and both held 5 quarts. Not sure if the LS1's hold more oil because they have a bigger crank case or oil pan or something. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put 6 quarts in mine...But just use THE DIPSTICK to see how much it needs

To get rid of the change oil light, turn the key to the on postion (engine off) and hold down the trip meter reset button until you see the change oil light flash. Then its reset, and it'll come on again when the computer calculates when it think the oil needs to be changed again.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GunshotZ28
I just changed my oil not even 5 miles ago (today). Now the check gauges light is on. The oil change light has always been on ever since I bought the car which was 2 weeks ago but I haven't driven it much since I bought it.. Maybe about 250 miles since. Oh and by the way, How much oil do these car's hold? It's a '00 Firehawk M6.. If that helps. I had two LT1's and both held 5 quarts. Not sure if the LS1's hold more oil because they have a bigger crank case or oil pan or something. Thanks for the help.
To reset the change oil light, you just have to hold down the trip reset. It should reset the light for the change oil. As for the check gauges, how much gas do you have in the car? If you are low on gas it will make the check gauges light come on. LS1's take 5 1/2 quartz of oil.

Hope that helps you.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Josh Nickelsen
To reset the change oil light, you just have to hold down the trip reset. It should reset the light for the change oil. As for the check gauges, how much gas do you have in the car? If you are low on gas it will make the check gauges light come on. LS1's take 5 1/2 quartz of oil.

Hope that helps you.
Yeah I'm pretty low on the gas lol. It's like right there before the red. That's probably what my problem is. Thanks. I nver knew the check gauges light came on when my gas was low.. That's pretty cool. My LT1 f-bodies never had that. I always had to risk it haha.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

If you are too low on gas, the fuel pump can overheat and die - I think it's $400 or so to have replaced by the dealer... I've not had it happen but have read of others experiencing this...
Old 11-17-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrEddie
If you are too low on gas, the fuel pump can overheat and die - I think it's $400 or so to have replaced by the dealer... I've not had it happen but have read of others experiencing this...
Yeah, don't let the gas run low, that's what cools your fuel pump.

The other way to reset the oil change light is to turn they key to the on position without starting the engine and press the gas pedal to the floor three times.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula413
The other way to reset the oil change light is to turn they key to the on position without starting the engine and press the gas pedal to the floor three times.

That's the way I have always used. I must tell you though I find it somewhat comical that you change your oil and then ask how much to put back in it. How much did you put it in btw?

Quick Reply: Just Changed My Oil.. Check Gauges And Change Oil Light On