General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Posi not working

Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posi not working

I have the Auburn differential option on my 2000 Camaro SS.

I have been noticing that my posi doesn't seem to be working. When I step on it the passenger side tire really gets smoked. Tires won't last too long if this keeps up.

I don't hear any weird noises and the car seems to drive fine.

Is this a common problem and what is usually involved in fixing it? Price?

I haven't taken it in to get looked at yet, I will probably get the dealer to service the rear end so they can take a look then.

Is it possible that after servicing it that it might fix itself? Or is it game over once these things quit working?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Launching!

So you Posi's not Posying. Don't know the type of set up the Auburn uses but if it's got the clutches they may be shot. But don't take my word for it.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Bump for any more ideas?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

i have the Auburn high perfromance series in mine it was replaced while i got my gears done i know that they are not the clutch type, ther cones i think a little harder to burn up i would just try the flush and the bottle of attitive in but idunno they prolly toast already my lsd and gears + labor=1024
Old 11-18-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

What kind of rear fluid are you using? Synthetics made mine act up. Try a fluid change with dino oil and a bottle of posi additive from gm.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I've only owned the car since the summer so I am unsure of what fluid is in the rear. I changed all the fluids when I bought it, but of course I totally forgot to do the rear end.

I guess I will take it to the stealer for service Monday morning and cross my fingers.

Ugh, not looking forward to a big bill right when I am ready to put this thing away for the winter.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

lol when my clutch got done the guy did my rearend as well and replaced with syn and couple weeks later it took a **** new clutch= 2nd gear burnouts and 4th gear freeway drops = broken pinion w/ axle berings toast and pinion bearing toast

well atleast 3 big things didnt go wrong bought the car toasted the clutch 600$ couple weeks later new gears and lsd 1024 couple more months opti plugs and wires then couple weeks after that fuel pump lol good luck
Old 11-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have already pointed out. Try changing the diff oil and make sure to use a non-sythetic gear oil. If it still acts up then you can look into replacing the posi unit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Posi not working