General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Removing inner fender wells.... lead to any problems?

Old 11-18-2007, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing inner fender wells.... lead to any problems?

Hey guys, I searched but didn't come up with much only that removing your inner fender wells can look ugly. Anywho, I'm converting from an LT1 style front to LS1 T/A front and it's such a hassle removing the fenders with the inner fender wells getting in the way so I thought of removing them to save weight and just to get out of my way. My buddy is telling me that the door hinges can start having problems... ie rust and things of the sort. Anyone have any advice they can chime in with? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will lead to problems. Everything you drive through will get slung up into the door jamb, fender and front bumper. It will only cause you much aggravation later on when you have to replace worn out hinges and clean all that crap up. Besides, how much weight do you think you will save removing two flimsy pieces of plastic?

Do the conversion the right way, please don't half *** it. Just get yourself a couple of LS1 style inner fender wells while you're at it. I mean, you're gonna do the conversion only once right? There's no need to go back in there again.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

What they said /\/\/\/\/\
Old 11-21-2007, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

I have the inner fenders + front fenders for sale..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/816190-parting-out-99-nbm-ta.html
Old 11-23-2007, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Fender liners are easy to install. I just replaced them on my '02 car because one was cracked. It's 3 7mm screws, 2 10mm screws, and 3 push-pins. No biggie.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys, I'm gonna keep my eye out for some 98+ inner fenders or atleast the plastic under the front bumper to get it to all line up then. Wasn't really concerned with the weight it would save, just wondering about it causing problems cause I didn't really want to try and keep them but the plastic is different underneath the bumper so after I can get that maybe I'll give putting them back in a shot. How do the 7mm screws go back in? I remember using a chisel to just cut them off.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
It will lead to problems. Everything you drive through will get slung up into the door jamb, fender and front bumper. It will only cause you much aggravation later on when you have to replace worn out hinges and clean all that crap up. Besides, how much weight do you think you will save removing two flimsy pieces of plastic?

Do the conversion the right way, please don't half *** it. Just get yourself a couple of LS1 style inner fender wells while you're at it. I mean, you're gonna do the conversion only once right? There's no need to go back in there again.
Listen to this guy, he said everything for me.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 PM

dont take them off especialy if theres gunna be sand and salt all on the streets because of plow trucks.. everytime i open my doors i have to cleen them out from all that crap.. its a pain in the ***.. i just bought some inner fenders cant wait to put them on lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing inner fender wells.... lead to any problems?