General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power window failed in the down position

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power window failed in the down position

So my 97 Formula wouldn't put the driver side window up- I took the door apart and can hear a click when the switch is operated, but the window motor doesn't go up.

This tells me the motor failed, unless I'm missing something. So now it's sitting with the window down- is there a way to make it go back up until I can get it fixed properly?

I've read that it's a major pain in the *** to get the motor out with the window down.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Launching!

19 views and no help? I'm pretty well screwed huh?

I'm most worried about getting the motor out with the window down- all the how to's I've found show it done with the window up.

Damn, this pisses me off- I was looking forward to some cruising during the 4 day weekend
Old 11-22-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My drivers side motor went out when the window was down as well. I had to take the door panel off and help guide it up by either pushing it from the bottom or pulling from the top if you can fit your hand in there. Its a pain in the *** to replace the motor with the window down, so don't give up. Also look at this write up to help replace it. http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 11-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phil8616
My drivers side motor went out when the window was down as well. I had to take the door panel off and help guide it up by either pushing it from the bottom or pulling from the top if you can fit your hand in there. Its a pain in the *** to replace the motor with the window down, so don't give up. Also look at this write up to help replace it. http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Nice to know I'm not alone and that it can be done, even if it proves frustrating. Thank you, brother
Old 11-22-2007, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep the window motors in these cars are crap. When you do buy another one buy one with a lifetime warranty. You will need it.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Launching!

OK- got the door panel off and can see that the rivets have not been drilled out previously, so time to drill. How do I know where the rivets are ocated? Is there a template or do you kind of just start looking with a mirror and estimating?

Either way, I'm gonna make a template for people to print when I do mine.