General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant leak only overnight!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant leak only overnight!

Ok...About 6 months ago I replaced the thermostat on a 2000 SS because it's the easiest and cheapest thing to do. The car was over heating and had plenty of coolant. This solved the problem for about 2 months. The car started to leak coolant on the driveway overnight like clockwork. One morning I found the leak to be underneath the thermostat seal. I figured maybe that ring went bad or was junk in the first place. Maybe I just didn't seat it right when I installed it.

It could be that there is a crack in the water pump in that exact area, but of course I'm not sure. I haven't seen any leaks since. The car has always read 210 on the stock gauge.

What are some sure signs that the water pump is bad?

What else (in the cooling system) can get damaged when the temp is above 220 or 230?

In addition to this....the leakage occurred on the A/C compressor and squeals like a pig now.
The main belt is also glazed with a beautiful Dextron burnt orange. Has anyone cleaned their compressor pulley successfully?

I've had to remove the A/C belt because it is soooo ******* annoying......

Used to only squeal like a pig with the A/C on....now it will squeal all the time
Thanks

Last edited by deejaydaze; 11-23-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My water pump to block gaskets leaked also.GM now has a updated waterpump gasket the rubber is now Black instead of Orange. The new part number is 12588372

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant leak only overnight!