General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Drivability problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivability problem

Got a strange problem with the ss. No ses light and its totally random. Basically it'll start missing whenever it wants to and drive smooth whenever it wants to. I tried replacing plugs/wires/02s and still have the same problem. I checked the throttle body and its clean. Its definitely something to do with the engine as you can feel the thing loose power during acceleration. Every once in a while it will backfire. I'm sure it would it throw a code for a coil going out, I left one unplugged once and gave one. But would it for an injector? The coils and the injectors have 155k on them. If I rev the engine high enough (2k) I can hide the shake but you can still hear it in the exhaust. It makes the shifter shake alot more than normal whether cruising or accelerating, it sorta smoothes out when I push the clutch or let off the gas but you can tell its still there. Anyone have this happen before or have any suggestions?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try swapping the MAF with another
Old 11-23-2007, 05:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by thechef
try swapping the MAF with another
Once you said the the plugs/wires/O2s were new, the MAF is the first thing that came to mind for me too.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Teching In

I have an 85mm but I need a few other parts to make it work. Guess I'll have to see if someone has a spare.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:48 PM
LS1TECH.com Sponsor

Do you have a way to monitor the misses? Is it totally random or on just one bank. I'm thinking maybe a plugged converter??? Does your car have converters??? If so, chheck your exhaust backpressure. If its more than about 1 or 2 psi when revved up, you have a plugged converter. Most of the time if its plugged so bad to cause misses, it will usually peg the backpressure gauge.

Have you noticed any slugishness or lack of power?

Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Teching In

No cats. The exhaust smells different when its acting up. I do have to rev it higher to get it away from a red light. I can feel the miss under acceleration, even hard acceleration. I can always hear when its missing in the exhaust. When its not missing it pulls smooth. It will come and go randomly, dosent matter if its hot or cold.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Car started bucking big time on the way home last night. This morning I pulled the plugs and uhoh. The passenger plugs seem to be fine, but the driver side has issues. The #1 plug was wet and the 3,5,7 were fuel fouled (black sooty). On my dinner break I'm going to see if the #1 coil is firing. Would that cause the rest of bank 1 to run rich?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Teching In

I think it was a broken vacuum line. I didnt notice it until I pulled the intake for another project. That and I was pulling doubles and trying to work on the car at 11:30 pm.