General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil change before storing...or after?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change before storing...or after?

I'm just curious to hear some feedback from you members. Something tells me it will be fine either way, so this is probably more of a curiousity than anything.

I always change my fluid every 3000 miles anyway and I've never really had any problems, so I don't think it will be sludgy or anything.

So what do YOU personally do? Do you change your oil before putting it away for the winter (if you do)? Or do you wait until the spring to change it?

Please, I'm not trying to debate too much about "whats better," so please don't chime in if you can't say what you personally do. I'm looking for more objective posts for more empirical opinions, just to get a jist of what guys do out there.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

This may sound like over kill but I change it before I put it away for the winter. Around early November. If it is nice out and no snow or salt on the road I will drive it once in awhile. Jan- Feb it usally just sits in the garage.

Then before I take it out around mid March I change the oil again. Of course I warm up the car to get the oil warm before I drain it. This just gives me peace of mind.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

well, its cheap enough, so if it works for your piece of mind, then to each his own.

What about others? What do you do?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't change the oil when the car is stored..I have my last show on Sunday, Then the car will sit until April, I have put about 1500 miles this year. I will change the oil when the new show season starts(April)
Old 12-02-2007, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

Do it before. Keeps any nasty stuff that may be in there from sitting in there all winter.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

I have been taking it out for the short runs every now and then when the weather is right. But I will change the oil before the long slumber
Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Launching!

i only put 2500 k this year and now its winter. but sinced its stored now ill leave it and change when its spring IMO, but cant hurt to do it before....
Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would recommend before storage. Don't let the impuritys hang out in the pan all winter.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, my situation is different because my car isn't stored for winter. It's just at home when I'm at school.

Since that's the case, my dad will start it up and idle it around every week. So I just change the fluids when I get back.

If I ever had to let it sit for that long I would definitely do it before, though.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your actually better off not idling it around for short periods of time. Unless you drive it long enough to build up alot of heat and burn off all the moisture in oil, you are going to get alot of condensation in the crankcase. Mixing oil with exhaust gasses (egr, blow-by), condensation and small amounts of fuel will create sludge and it can become acidic. If it were me i would change it and just leave it be all winter but i know how it is to wanna drive it.

Dont get me wrong, its not going to kill the engine. But if your worried about it and looking for the optimum environment your better off. Really its not going to have a huge affect as you aren't storing it for long periods of time and it would take a LONG time to do any damage.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I change mine before storing it (roughly around mid-October) and again after waking it up again in late March. Overkill, maybe, but I don't want to take any chances.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Launching!

I would do it before if it was me. No reason really. Just in case you did have to drive it on some -5 degrees days you know you have maximum protection.

i put < 2500 miles on my car a year so i just change it once a year around my birthday. Dont even right it down anymore.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

I think I'm concluding that it really doesn't matter. thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll try to change it if I can, but not fret if I don't. The ice storm in the midwest hit quick this season and I wasn't ready for it. Oh well, its in storage now, so I'll jus wait and not lose any sleep about it.