General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help, may have a problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help, may have a problem!

When I got my trans am i noticed the dash light button was not being pushed in all the way by the glove box door...didn't think it was draining the battery til one night my car barely started. It would turn over start and then die, lights brightening then dimming. The battery needle was going back and forth. I gave it a little gas on the second try and I had to hold the gas to keep it running. Soon as I took my foot off it would drop down real low, lights would dim and it would almost die. Bouncing up and down. I drove it around for like 20 minutes and then it charged up I guess and it was fine for a couple of days til tonight. (by the way i taped down the glove box light button that night) I noticed it was jumping slightly tonight and the battery gauge needle was higher then usual. (maybe at 16) Then as I drive more it'll eventually go down to around 12,13, or 14.

Now I only drive 2 miles too and from work. Am i not driving it enough to let it charge up from sitting in the cold for 6-8 hours at a time?

Is my alternator dying or battery dying? help!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Get the battery tested at AutoZone for free. If the battery is low replace it. Even if its close, replace it anyway. AutoZone can test the alternator too, but it may have to be removed from the car (I don't know). Its also possible that you have a drain somewhere in the system that you'll have to test for. Its less likely though unless you've recently changed something.

Here is a quick fix for the glove box light I did:
My glove box door would droop a bit and not push in the switch far enough so the glove box light would stay on. I added a small round clear rubber drawer/cabinet-door bumper to the riser on the door that pushes in the switch. Now the switch gets pushed in far enough and the light stays off when the glove box door is closed.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My glove box would do the same thing, turns out the tab it latches to just needed to be pushed in some.