General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

please help battery goes dead after siting

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question please help battery goes dead after siting

hey guys my battery goes dead after siting for about a week. i havent been driveing the car lately and has been in the garage. i had the alternator tested and came back good and the battery came back good also. nothing seems to be on in the car i dont have a aftermarket alarm to kill it{just the factory one}. i was out of town for 6 days and and the car just sat there and now i went to crank it up and its compleatly dead even with my booster pack it wont even make the key in or door chimes. what could it be?????
i realy need you help guys. im going to get a replacement battery from advanceunder warranty.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

you might have a parasitic drain going on somewhere. hook a multi meter up to the battery and get someone to start pulling fuses. when you see a change you will have found the problem. who tested the battery, how old is the battery, and what brand is the battery? sometimes a crappy battery will read good.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Launching!

I had a glovebox light causing the exact thing you describe. Couldn't see it during the daylight and only barely even at night.....something to check. The switch was bad/out of adjustment and the light was staying on even with the door shut.

Chris
Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Sometimes a bad alternator will read good too. If its not a sealed battery did you check all the cells to see if they have acid in them? If they are low you can refill with distilled water. But really you need to hook up a dmm on it to see if its draining from somewhere.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

the battery is an advance auto titanium and was about a year old.it had warranty on it so they gave me a new one. i will put the new battery in tomorrow and its very dark in my garage with the door closed so ill see if any lights are on.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:39 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Originally Posted by nickls1
Sometimes a bad alternator will read good too. If its not a sealed battery did you check all the cells to see if they have acid in them? If they are low you can refill with distilled water. But really you need to hook up a dmm on it to see if its draining from somewhere.
hey! no relation but
it that picture a Pitbull?
they are king of dogs
Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

well i pu the new battery in today and the car cranked pefect. the voltage and the dash gauge seems a little higher also.maybe it was a bad battery.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Question

I have the same problem about the battery dying.
I have a brand new AC DELCO battery I installed back in April/May of this year, but do not drive the car much.
I do start it up at least once in 2 weeks and drive a bit to get the fluids/mechanics/tires moving. (I have to charge the battery to full strength before firing her up.) Should I check the glovebox light as suggested in the earlier reply?? If it is the glovebox light, how do you fix that?
Thanks for any info!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like this is a common problem with these cars cause mine does it to.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Question

I guess the best way to remedy this would be to disconnect the battery??
Just charged up the battery for an hour and it is fully charged and fired her right up.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem also. What gives?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Launching!

I used to work in an electric shop and we would see cars like this all the time. It usually turns out to be something like a vanity mirror light, glovebox light, or some other small light that you don't think about.

To figure out which one, disconnect the battery and hook up an ammeter in series with the battery post to cable (doesn't matter positive or negative). If you car has courtesy lights or anything else, it may take a little while for the amps to go down. You'll have to disconnect aftermarket alarms so they won't go off.

I usually looked for less than 0.003 A draw on a car. Anything much more and something is on. To isolate, pull one fuse at a time until the draw goes away. You'll need a wiring diagram to do this effectively.

Also, you can use a test light in place of the ammeter.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Haacer, thanks for the useful info!!!
That's what I love about this forum. GOOD people with GOOD ideas/info!!