General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help w/ oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help w/ oil leak

Ok, I just did the a4->m6 swap. I had a slight oil leak when it was an a4 that I wanted to fix so i wouldn't get oil on the clutch of the t56. The rear main seal is bone dry. There looks to be oil in the center of the crank. I followed the advise of my engine builder and used the black permatex sealant on the plug in side the crank. So I put the 6 speed in there and drove it for 3 days. The car would leave puddles of oil under the car after I drove it. Here's the funny thing, got the tranny back off and the rear main seal is still dry, and the black silicone in the center of the crank is all f'ed up. No oil on the clutch! none at all. Yet its pouring out in the driveway. I also noticed(probably unrelated) the inside of the tranny is covered in gooey black **** like oil mixed with dirt(very dark and thick and a little sticky). Any clues?? Im trying to fix this today. Please help?!?!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blu98ta
Ok, I just did the a4->m6 swap. I had a slight oil leak when it was an a4 that I wanted to fix so i wouldn't get oil on the clutch of the t56. The rear main seal is bone dry. There looks to be oil in the center of the crank. I followed the advise of my engine builder and used the black permatex sealant on the plug in side the crank. So I put the 6 speed in there and drove it for 3 days. The car would leave puddles of oil under the car after I drove it. Here's the funny thing, got the tranny back off and the rear main seal is still dry, and the black silicone in the center of the crank is all f'ed up. No oil on the clutch! none at all. Yet its pouring out in the driveway. I also noticed(probably unrelated) the inside of the tranny is covered in gooey black **** like oil mixed with dirt(very dark and thick and a little sticky). Any clues?? Im trying to fix this today. Please help?!?!
If you don't torque the oil filter properly it can leak a bunch.

Did you put a pilot bearing in the crank?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was the plug in the crank. Replaced that with a new one, and it works like a charm!