General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

@#*% power steering pump! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @#*% power steering pump! HELP!!

So, long story short... I had my PS pump replaced around six months ago and since then it has had a very slow leak that showed up on the concrete after I had let the car set for a couple of hours. I had the new pump put on by Carl Black Pontiac up here in Atlanta, and due to having a really bad experience with them I refuse to take the car back to them! So, I am trying to fix the problem myself... if at all possible. So, back to the problem. Now the pump has gotten to where it squeals like it is out of fluid when I turn the wheel when it is cold in the mornings, but once the car is warm the squeal is gone. The fluid is full but I have checked and the fluid is very foamy like it has air in the lines when I first start the car in the mornings, but will be fine once the car gets warm. After hoping that the slow leak was coming from a faulty PS cap I replaced the cap Sunday, but the squeal is still there and when I let the car run and took the cap off to check the fluid level the PS fluid was bubbling and even made its way out of the reservoir before I could get the lid back on this morning. Anyone... someone...got any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I replaced my ps pump about 6 months ago and it also leaks. Did the new cap stop your pump from leaking?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Launching!

My car does something similar when the PS fluid is overfilled.

I remember looking in the factory service manual and seeing something about hose routing and worn hoses.

You need to figure out where the leak is coming from. If the lines are dirty, steam clean them and observe leakage.

Also, make sure hoses are routed to where they aren't rubbing on anything.

I'll try to dig out the FSM tonight. What is your year/make/model/engine?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:52 AM
Teching In

The new cap did not stop the leak. and my car is an 01 WS6 TA. I have talked to a few that have pretty much told me that I am probably going to have to replace the pump because it is possible that an internal seal in the pump has let go and is causing all my troubles! That is no good since the warranty on the pump I have now went out two months ago!
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a turn one power steering pump & never look back. Mine has gave me fits too but i havent had to replace the entire pump yet.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Just get a turn one power steering pump & never look back. Mine has gave me fits too but i havent had to replace the entire pump yet.
I just got mine in the mail and i also ordered the pulley with it. How hard is it to put the pulley on it and do you use the stock bolts and nuts? Thanks, Randy
Old 12-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Teching In

I actually did check out the Turn One site the other day. How much do the Turn one pumps with the pully and everything run?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Not sure. I know they cost more but everyone running one says you'll probably never have to replace it again especially if your car only sees street & strip duty. I"m still on my stocker. I just eliminated the cooler & put all new lines on it.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

could be the internal of the pump! but check out your rack and pinion to mak sure thats fine too

Quick Reply: @#*% power steering pump! HELP!!