General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Header choice confusion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header choice confusion

Hey new to the site, I have a 1999 z28 lid catback I"m ready to do headers catted-y cam an ls6 intake. i have read the (stickys) but a little confused Ineed cats for Oh Insp. but want to rid engine bay of Air and Egr, so if i get the headers (pacesetters- tsp-catted-y Should I get the race-style or emission ones, And which LS6 intake With the emiision crap or without. Please straighten me out on this I planned on getting the codes deleted if i can find someone around here to do it. Thank-you and Merry christmas
Old 12-22-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

What exactly does the inspection entail is the first question. Do they look under the hood or just a sniffer? If just a sniffer, I'd get the race headers and the LS6 intake without EGR. You can then delete EGR and Air. As stated, you'll have to modify your tune to make it all work. If you get the emissions headers, the welded emissions bungs will vibrate and eventually fatigue--falling off and leaving a big hole in the tube. Ask me how I know. Have fun with it.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like stated previously, the race headers is what you want if you are deleting the AIR and EGR. I got Kooks LTs, but for some reason ordered an LS6 intake with the emissions...so I had to block those off (doesn't look the best, but gets the job done).
Old 12-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Teching In

The inspection is the OBDII so no they donot pop the hood and no sniffer but i remember them looking underneath with a mirror for the cats so put the catted -y on and punch them out mabey- but can i still get rid of air system and egr
Old 12-23-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes you can, just order "race headers" and a catted Y and you will have what you want. Then just reprogram the car for no AIR or EGR...an 01/02 has no EGR anyways...different cam/intake/tune...but nothing you can't overcome with a little effort. You definitely should reprogram the car for the lack of EGR and to turn off the AIR pump related check engine lights. Plus while you're in there it's pretty easy to turn off the rear O2 sensor checks and such too...then it'll never fail the plug in test.