General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 Cooling System help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Cooling System help

i have a 94 z28 and i just replaced the water pump, opti-spark w/ cap and rotor, plugs and tps and last night i was driving home when i noticed i was about to overheat, i took a look at it and it looks like a heater hose on the drivers side very bottom of the radiator had come undone, put it back on and filled up with water and now the heater is blowing cold air and its running about 210 (halfway on the gauge) its winter here in seattle and was running perfectly at 180, any suggestions on whats wrong? also my transmission isnt working right it will shift into 3rd and 4th when no throttle is applied but as soon as you give it gas it acts like its in neutral like its not fully engaged but this is an intermitent problem any suggestions on that would be much appreciated
Old 12-28-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering if you filled the system properly. If air is in the system it will cause the car to overheat. If you're not sure if you did it right below is a basic how to.
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#radflush

Also 210 is about normal for these cars at a stoplight or idle, if it goes PAST the halfway mark something is up. You might consider getting a tune to make your fans turn on early so the car doesn't get so hot.

If tranny is slipping HOPEFULLY its just low on fluid or the tranny fluid is dirty, has it ever been changed?

Last edited by chavez885; 12-28-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you hook up the heater hoses correctly? also your thermostat might be sticking