General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Firebird headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firebird headlight problem

Finally got my formula home after buying it a while back. i was told the headlights didnt go down once they were up. truth be told they didnt go up or down when i got it. i manually raised them and saw that 2 wires were cut on both sides, i reattached them and the headlights worked. but theres a problem.

passenger side goes up when the lights are turned on, driver side goes down though. they are opposite while the passenger side is correct. I have tried manually moving the driver side but it just wont move for that cycle and keep doing the opposite. I dont know what to do to fix it.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nobody else has had this problem? lol

I know its weird
Old 01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

First the obvious, check to make sure there aren't any wires reversed? Also, test the polarity of the wires going to the two headlamp door motors to make sure that the polarity isn't reversed on the driver-side. Also check to which pins in the connector those wires lead. Someone may have moved the pins into incorrect locations.

You can also try this to see if it fixes the problem:
(With the headlights off, the driver-side stays up, correct?)
- Pull the blue 15amp mini-fuse for the driver-side headlamp door (its in the fusebox under the hood with an abbreviated name)
- Turn on the headlights. (The passenger-side will raise and the driver-side will not move.)
- Replace the fuse for the driver-side headlamp door
- Turn off the headlights. (Both should now go down properly)
After that test it a few times to make sure they continue to work properly.

Do either of the motors make any additional noise (ex: griding) when going up or down? Does it sound like either motor continues to try and pull the door closed after it is already down all the way? Do either (or both) open and close again when setting the alarm? If you see any of those, one (or both) of the motors may have a stripped gear. Check out this sticky for more info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html

Last edited by VIP1; 01-09-2008 at 09:16 AM.