General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power antenna almost goes all the way down -.-

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power antenna almost goes all the way down -.-

My power antenna sometimes gets stuck maybe 3 inches from being all the way down... does anyone know what is causing this?

I searched and came up with part number 22038195 as a repair kit for it, gmpartsdirect just lists that part number as "Cable" so I really have no clue if its right.

I'm not even sure if its worth fixing, I might as well just unplug the motor and leave it down, b/c the only time I ever listen to the radio is... well, in the 7 seconds it takes me to take a CD out and put a new on in(and NO I did not actually time myself )
Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen people put WD40 on a rag and wipe the antenna when it's up. Maybe try that?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Mine did this for a couple days when the temperatures were 5-15 degrees. Unless it has been happening in warm and cold weather and for a couple months, slap some Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease on it while it is in the upright position and that should take care of it. WD-40 will work for a little while, but the grease will last longer over a wider range of temps. Once the antenna is retracted, you should wipe any excess of the base plate and nub.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The GM Service Manual addresses this specific issue. Their guidance is to extend the mast and clean it off with a cloth and mineral spirits.

I do this yearly and it has done the trick for me every time. I usually have to do it in winter when the mast starts accumulating road salts.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just rip the whole damn thing out, plug the hole left behind with a black rubber stopper and some adhesive so it doesn't leak, and run either CD's or XM (or Sirius...let's not fight about "which is better"). Believe it or not, pending where you live, you may be able to still get great reception on your radio. All depends whether you live near a big city where the broadcasting is much stronger.