General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PLEASE HELP Headlights and Dash lights blinking??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy PLEASE HELP Headlights and Dash lights blinking??????

I have a 98 Camaro. When driving at night, all the lights blink. Even the dash lights. Can't figure out why. I have checked all I know to check.
Any advice will be appreciated. If you need to know more about the car let me know. Would it be the alternator or something else????

They don't blink all the way on and off. But you can see them blinking.

Please Help.

Thanks,
Criss

SBP
Old 01-10-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure what you checked but I had a similar problem and it was the positive battery cable. The stock batteries are prone to leaking acid on the positive side and it can do some serious damage in a hurry. Sometimes it's hard to see. Make sure you check it very good and if it's corroded at all you probably are best served getting a new battery. Mine looked normal at first glance but I started taking the cable off and part of the battery came off with it. There was also acid inside the insulation and it ate the cable away from the inside out.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am pretty sure they are good. And it has a Optima battery. I will for sure double check again though.

Anyone else had this problem? Any Advice?

Thanks,

SBP
Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody else????

Thanks,

SBP
Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this thread from a while back.. It's probably the same thing your talking about
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/719775-surging-lights.html
Old 02-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Bringin this thread back to life!

I have the same problem. The lights flicker, seems to be worse in cold weather.
It's bad enough that a friend following me notices my tail lights flicker. It's the same type of flicker that happens at idle with your headlights on then your A/C kicks on and the engine drops RPM's for a brief second and everything dims for just a brief moment before returning to normal. Only diffence is this happens when I'm going down the road with cruise control on and A/C off. it flickers fast too... like 2-3 flickers a second I'm guessing, of course using the one mississippi method of measurement!

I haven't tried to fix it as stabbing blindly gets expensive on our cars...
Old 02-02-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

this might seem obvious but are you running a sound system in your car? any extra electric accessories? fuel pump, water pump?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its the alternator.. and is common. I drove mine with the occasional flickering lights for well over a year.. changed the battery and all kinds of stuff.. finally one night it got really bad looking like I was flashing the lights on and off. I changed the alternator the next day and problem solved.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Teching In

How about when you hit the brake pedal? Mine does it at night, and you can tell when you tap the brakes. Also, my left side headlight is messed up, Im thinking its the headlight harness because you can wiggle the connector and sometimes the lights will both work, but if you hit a bump, the light goes back out. Getting fed up with the electrical problems with this car...
Old 02-02-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a bad ground^^ anyways when you hit the brakes, its using more power and drawing the power away from the other lights to power the brake lights. change your alternator and you will be good.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by venomhp
this might seem obvious but are you running a sound system in your car? any extra electric accessories? fuel pump, water pump?
I don't have an aftermarket sound system or anything electronic added, well xm and a phone charger lol. I don't know if it's coincidence or not but it seems so much worse on really cold nights.

I would assume alternator but what else could cause it?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Its the alternator.. and is common. I drove mine with the occasional flickering lights for well over a year.. changed the battery and all kinds of stuff.. finally one night it got really bad looking like I was flashing the lights on and off. I changed the alternator the next day and problem solved.
How long did it take you to replace?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Default Flickering lights & hard starts

I have a 1998 Camaro Z28 LS1 with 120,000 miles. I have replaced the alternator 3 times & the battery twice. I've also put in a new fuel pump. On the original battery, I had issues with battery acid leaking into the wiring harness. I cleaned it with baking soda & water & it seemed to work fine after the cleaning & replacement of the battery. About a year later I had to replace the alternator with OEM alternator. The first two alternators had to be replaced because the car wouldn't stay charged & killed the battery. Now; when I go to start it the starter cranks over 15-20 times before finally starting. But if I turn the key on & hit the starter once; then turn the key back off and try starting it; it starts immediately. The odometer dash lights will flicker even when the lights are off. When the lights are on...the dash board lights will flicker along with the headlights & taillights. If I disconnect the battery & reconnect the battery it'll start with the first turn of the key for a couple of days but then it goes back to doing the same thing. We've had the ignition key tested & that's not the problem.
Please help. I'm at a loss.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP Headlights and Dash lights blinking??????