General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'99 TA Diagnostic Estimate

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '99 TA Diagnostic Estimate

Hello, everyone.

I recently purchased a 1999 Trans Am that has approximately 131,000 miles. It's a manual transmission, and I paid just under the KBB value for it.

I am barely able to afford the insurance, so I definitely can't afford to keep this car if it'll continue to run costs in maintenance. So with a list of the things that I think are seriously unusual, I was hoping some of you could give me an estimated diagnostic on how severe this car will be in maintenance requirement.

The unusual details are:

1. Manual transmission has made grinding noises when I shifted from 1st gear to 2nd gear above 30mph. It has also grinded briefly on the reverse gear. With the reverse gear, I am unsure of whether this was caused by not fully shifting the gear in place, and with the 2nd gear, don't know if it's because I shifted past 25mph (i.e. if I was supposed to shift to 2nd at a slower speed). Grinding from the 2nd gear made a hard vibration on the stick. Also, I am an inexperienced driver. When my father drove this car, he noted that he didn't experience any grinding when he shifted.

2. I understand the gear shift stick is not supposed to be able to move out of neutral when the foot is off the clutch. Yet, I have observed that my shift is now able to be moved into any gear when the clutch isn't stepped on the slightest bit (this was when engine was turned off). The stick used to stay put in neutral when I first received the car, but is now no longer the case.

3. Engine sporatically fails to start when I turn the key. I don't mean that it tries to start but fails, just that nothing starts at all. It gives me the same indication as if my foot weren't on the clutch when my foot was actually stepped on the clutch to the floor. I suspect it might be some signal defect from the transmission or that the clutch is worn down or is down in fluid. This happens every now and then, and would sometimes have to try over 5 times until the signal connects and the engine turns on. When turned on, the engine runs at normal condition with nothing wrong.

Are any or all of these issues serious in nature? If a new manual transmission is required, how much does one typically cost plus labor?

I appreciate any opinion you guys can provide.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the clutch being worn shouldnt have nothing to do with it not starting as long as the switch for it is good it should be alright. maybe one of the battery caples have corrotion.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm. That's a good point.

I forgot to mention that there are also times when the ignition starts for a split second and then stops just as fast. Quick like a flash of light. This immediately indicated to me that there is probably an electrical issue.

Thank you.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Lock cylinder is going bad and it's time to overhaul the tranny. Call sixspeeds inc they are a sponsor here and can do one for about 1500 or so. The lock cylinder will set you back a couple hundred also.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 AM
TECH Regular

Unknown to me, I read that there are two types of manual transmissions: Synchronous and non-synchronous systems, with the difference being that the first allows you to shift to any gear without having to be at the right speed and the latter doesn't. I read that the non-synchronous types emit grinding and vibration on the stick if you shift at the wrong speed, which is what I am currently suspecting to be the case.

To be sure, can someone please tell me if there are any '99 TA's that were made with non-synchronous manual transmissions? If not, then the conclusion is obviously that my transmission is dying.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your T56 is a syncro trans. All new manual transmissions are syncro. .

As for your tranny, im sure you will prob just need a nice freshen up. Also with 131k i dont think you can complain .

Get new syncros for 1-2, and 3-4. New forks for those gears. But you can get six speed inc to tell you what you need. Or you could just buy there $600 package that will handle 700hp and have somebody install them. Your about to be in a world of hurt prob for your wallet.
Is your clutch fine??
A way to check is when your rolling at about 40mph put the trans into 5th gear or 4th . Just one that leaves you at like 2k rpm. Give it about 75-95% throttle and check and make sure the rpms aren't rising while the car really isn't moving with the rpms. (hope that makes sense bc its kind of hard to explain.)

As for your car not starting, check your ground strap on the drivers side frame rail at the front. Also check your connection at the battery itself. Most of the time its just a bad terminal on the battery or a bad battery cable .. Simple fix.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't quote me, and someone correct me if i'm wrong, but...

Trans probably needs some expensive TLC. Give sixspeeds inc. a call they'll diagnose as good as, probably better than anyone.

The not starting could be the chip in your key not connecting. Do the accessories still come on when the engine doesn't try? Does your security light stay on after all of the others go off? The stealership will probably want more than a new key is worth but less than a new lock cylinder(sp?).

If the accessories don't come on I would turn towards battery connections like others have said. Corrosion or a bad ground would be the easiest, cheapest, and most likely culprits.

Hope that helps
Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice.

The accessories light up, but the ignition doesn't make a sound. This problem seems to be isolated with the ignition, but at the same time, I get the indication that it's an electrical issue because there are times when the ignition begins for a split second and stops. When the ignition goes all the way, the engine starts right up with no issue.

Well, if all '99 TA's have synchro transmissions, then there's gotta be a problem, however small it may be. I'm going to drop it off by Mr. Transmission to get a full diagnostic because they're close by and I need to pick up gas anyway.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

When my ignition went bad it was acting like you described above. It cost me about $300 to get it fixed.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your ignition problem kinda sounds like the Ignition switch has went bad. Actuallt not to expensive to replace.