General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dissapearing Antifreeze, Only Tiny Spot on Floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dissapearing Antifreeze, Only Tiny Spot on Floor

Short of it: I'm driving my sis' car. Notice it's getting hot, hotter, then overheating (on red "H" ). Turn on heater to help. No heat. No Antifreeze.

Back to parents. Put in some 50/50. Only tiny spots on floor, parents say. Take it in to shop for body work, tell them to check. Can't find any leak. Level is full. Did they even check? Don't know.

"Heater stoped working again," parents say. Find out it's been doing this. I'm thinking it ran out of water again. Trouble is, they can't answer simple questions. They don't check anything.

Just checked it. Plum full. No spots. No leaks.

Where the coolant going, or why is this happening? In other words, why is the heater not working, the car getting hot, not having water?

Help me out, guys. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

How do you check if water pump works? Could it be stopping, or...?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Launching!

what car is this.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the dipstick and check the oil level. If it's really high or looks like a milk shake, you're getting coolant in the oil pan. Usually that's a bad head gasket or possibly an intake gasket (small blocks and LT1's only).
Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Damn. Just looked and I did forget to mention that. Yeah, I checked. Sorry. None in oil.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think what's happened here is the coolant was low only once, when I found out about it. Its very possible that it just ran out over a normal period of time for an older car. But, the "heater" doesn't work "occasionally." Maybe she just needs to let the water heat up. I don't know. Got her some radiator seal. We'll monitor the situation.

I took her out and explained the basics of cars -- I let her check the oil and brake fluid; told her why antifreeze is called that, how it's mixed, what it does and how it does it; showed her the fuse box and showed her how to check them; we found her jack and spare and I told her to brake the lugs with the tire on the ground starting with the bottom... I think that's about it. Did I miss anything?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Make sure your sister has your cell number so she can call you when her car breaks down.