Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Default Midas vs. Meineke

I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea on a comparison between their ratings in overall service, work habit and professionalism based on either personal experience or report. Or is Midas to Meineke as Sears is to JC Penny (i.e. no statistical difference)?

I'm only going to have a high pressure hose replaced on the power steering in my TA, but I want to make sure I take it to the better place if one stands out.

Thank you very much.
Crimsonnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6

They can vary from location to location. I'm **** enough to question the mechanics even on my wife's Lincoln. If they give me the wrong answers or a blank look, I walk. But I'm a dick.

troopercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Kleeborp the Moderator™
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 11

You need to be more worried about the mechanic rather than the company you are taking it to...I've seen dumbasses everywhere, but there are some really competent guys out there too. Replacing the HP line on your power steering pump (provided it is a 98+ F-body) is a pretty simple job, so I wouldn't be too worried about that one.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

around here midas rules. all of the mechanics have worked on cars 20 + years. the manager is awesome and really looks out for the customers. one guy i know does my custom welding and what not.. even did something a little illegal.. but he wanted to do it because he wanted to hear how it sounds lol
My hooker is extremely loud and raspy now.
JHL88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

I'm glad to hear it's a simple job because mine is a '99 TA.

Judging from the mechanic's education is where I would be at a disadvantage because I don't know anything myself. However, the guys at Meineke did provide a quicker diagnosis, isolating the source of the leak without second guessing, whereas I was told that the leak might be coming from the HP hose at Midas. Moreover, I saw many cars being serviced at Meineke and not a single one in the Midas garage. :lol But as mentioned above. This was just one Midas location I visited out of the entire area, so things may be exclusive from the other locations. Up in Jersey, Midas is all around and probably the dominant one.

Thanks a lot, guys.
Crimsonnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
TECH Resident
1998 Pontiac Firebird

Trader Rating: 3

dont really need to know much to replace that line it is pretty easy
Old 01-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #7
TECH Resident
1997 Pontiac Firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeentSS02 View Post
You need to be more worried about the mechanic rather than the company you are taking it to...I've seen dumbasses everywhere, but there are some really competent guys out there too.
I agree with this. When it comes to the chains it's hit or miss whether they have competent/knowledgeable techs working there, which chain it is doesn't seem to be as much of a factor.

97 Formula / My FQuick Garage / North East F-Body Association

"I just come seeking pleasure, I hate the light, I speed at night"
Formula413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:12 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
compare, comparison, leak, ma, meineke, meinekemidas, meinike, meinke, midas, sears, services, slow, v, versus, vs