General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sounds like Popcorn when I turn......

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like Popcorn when I turn......

I bought my 01 ss last May, I noticed every once in a while i would hear a pop when steering and low speeds. Its eventually has gotten worse and worse, now nine months later it anoying as hell and the inside of brand new tires are gone to the belts. I can sit in the drive way and steer one way and it will pop real quick 3-4 times and then continues to steer (can feel it in the steering wheel) then as soon as you start to turn it the other direction it does the identical popping. It does not matter how im turning, if i have to turn the wheels it making that noise. It doesn't do it but at low speed since 30mph plus the wheel hardly turn. Can someone help me out with this problem. What it might be, how to know for sure. Oh, tracks fine on level road, no pulling, wierd huh.

thanks,

Last edited by HaulinaSS; 01-21-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added
Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to look into the tie rod ends.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ball joints as well.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Launching!

My car pops once or twice too, but only when the car is not moving...like in the driveway. Should I check my ball joints too.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Im convienced its the tie rod too, But im stuck on Outer on inners. Anybody changed there and fixed the problem. Talked to alot of F-body guys and it sounds like a common problem. Also how big of a job is it to change the tierods on these cars. Link to instructions would be great.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can jack up the front end and try to move the tires from the 12 and 6 position and 3 and 9 position. They should not move or have any play in them.

My outer tie rods were worn out and I was having that popping sound when turning at low speeds.

I replaced the tie rods with Moogs and I haven't had the problem since.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

dont you have to get an alignment after you change tie rod ends?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Teching In

i Just got through changing both outer tie roads(along with rotors and brake pads while i was in there) took 1 1/2 for all. It did not cure the problem, but did reduce some slack in the 9 and 3 clock wheel shake. The 12 and 6 is real tight on the ground and in the air so can i rule out ball joints or s their a better way to tell other than taking apart. My next trouble shooting will be the inner and if that doesn't fix then the ball joints.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Teching In

has anyone had any problems with the shafts and cv joints from the steering box to the rack. I grabbed mine last night and gave it a shake and it seemed to be loose where the shaft comes out of the steering box.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Teching In

i do believe the problem is in my Rack so i went ahead a bought a new one, After i bought all new tie-rods and ball joints.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HaulinaSS
i do believe the problem is in my Rack so i went ahead a bought a new one, After i bought all new tie-rods and ball joints.
Have you installed the new rack yet? Did that fix the problem? I currently have the same problem and it is becoming worse. Just interested in what component you found to be the problem. Thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Teching In

racks coming tomorrow so i will post back with the results. I have replaced all steering parts except the rack (ball joints are perfect) and it never changed the popping so im almost certain. Mine started out with a pop every now and again and then it went to crap. bought a refurb with lifetime gaurantee for $120 off steeringrack.com. incase you were wondering i replaced outer tie rods (one had slack), inner tie rods, and borrowed my buddies intermediate shaft. if this don't fix it, i will give up and pay to have a front end shop look at it. I have kick the dog and slap the wife to many times over this car...
Old 02-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

My front end had/has many problems. If I was stopped and turned the wheel it made the popping sound, replaced inner and outter tie rod ends but it fixed nothing. a week later I had an accident and it just so happened that it hit on my front right wheel! I got a new rack and of course new tie rod ends that I just replaced. the new rack stopped the popping noises completely.

Now I have a 'newer' problem that I'm blaming on the wheel bearings for. Imagine a driveway that goes slighty up hill towards the house. when I back down the driveway and turn the wheel to back into the street it makes a clunking sound and gives a slight feedback in the steering wheel. wth?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Teching In

This is just a suggestion, on Saturday, I spun my car out on black ice and into a corn field and hit some frozen clumps of dirt. I got my car pulled out and when I went to drive the car to the car wash to rinse all the mud off of the car, I noticed that whenever I went to brake and turn my wheel, I had a very minor pop noise happen from the front passenger side. Anyways, I claimed it on my insurance and I got the quote back today and I was told that the only mechanical problem found, was my steering knuckle. So, they are replacing it and giving my car an alignment and I imagine that will take care of that. Hope that helps your problem!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Glad to see i'm not the only person using insurance to get stuff fixed! So go get into a wreck or go off roading then call your insurance agent, problem solved!!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ You do realize that will make your rates go up... cause it would be your fault for doing that.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would look also into the tie rod ends.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

not sure if our cars have them but gm has been having alot of problems with the steering shafts popping at low speeds because they no longer use a rag joint, so if there is no rag joint on the steering shaft it just might need to be greased thats what we have to do in our service dept.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jon5212
^^^ You do realize that will make your rates go up... cause it would be your fault for doing that.
Trust me, I didn't want that woman to try to cut across three lanes of oncoming traffic. I like my car! But my bumper got fixed and so did my steering!

Back to the topic...

maybe this will help a little: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....01&postcount=2

Last edited by JamesR311; 02-06-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Teching In

i know the problem with the steering intermidiate shaft cause of my tahoe and i check that problem out aswell(swapped shafts with a buddies car with no poping). Sorry my rack just got here a few minutes ago and im about to put the car on the rack and change her out. I will tonight or tomorrow about the results.

For the cat that wrecked his car, you should check all tie-rods because i think they would go before that steering knuckle...

Quick Reply: Sounds like Popcorn when I turn......