General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Filling the TA with new coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Filling the TA with new coolant

alright so on the upper radiator support it says that this car has a special procedure to fill the antifreeze and to look in the owners manual i looked and cant find anything about it so how would i go about filling the coolant up after the h/c swap
Old 01-27-2008, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

Here's what I did, it worked great. With the car off you disconnect the TB coolant hose, this will give the air a way to escape when you are filling the radiator. Fill until the coolant level gets close to the top, give it a second for it to go down, repeat. When you start to get coolant coming from the coolant crossover tube and the level in the radiator will not go down, then you know you are good. Hook the TB coolant line back up and start your car, the level will fluctuate a little with the opening of the thermostat, so just keep it full. I did the HVAC delete so I didn't have to worry about that, but if you have it you should turn your heat on while you are filling to get all of the air out of the lines. After a while it started to push coolant back out so I capped it off and that was that.

I got all my info off of the ls1howto.com website on the electric water pump install. It would be a good idea to check that out.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty simple job
Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea pretty simple! just make sure you get all the air out of the system!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28Fistergod
Here's what I did, it worked great. With the car off you disconnect the TB coolant hose, this will give the air a way to escape when you are filling the radiator. Fill until the coolant level gets close to the top, give it a second for it to go down, repeat. When you start to get coolant coming from the coolant crossover tube and the level in the radiator will not go down, then you know you are good. Hook the TB coolant line back up and start your car, the level will fluctuate a little with the opening of the thermostat, so just keep it full. I did the HVAC delete so I didn't have to worry about that, but if you have it you should turn your heat on while you are filling to get all of the air out of the lines. After a while it started to push coolant back out so I capped it off and that was that.

I got all my info off of the ls1howto.com website on the electric water pump install. It would be a good idea to check that out.
the same way for a v6 3.8