General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

random cut-off??

Old 01-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random cut-off??

just happened for the first time ever a few minutes ago. i was in the drive-thru at mcdonalds and as i was about to pull up to the second window when the car just chokes out. i tried to start it again and it wouldn't fire, but it would turn over. so i try to play it cool and just sit there for a couple of minutes and i finally get it start and it runs fine. i pulled into a parking place and looked under the hood and didn't see anything really wrong and i revved the motor a couple of times and it was fine. well anyway on the way home it cut off two more times without warning. no SES light. the only light that flashes is the check gauges light. so i did and everything is fine. any ideas? i would think it was a sensor or something. the only things i've done to the car recently were install a tranny cooler a couple of weeks ago and yesterday i replaced the headlights and fog lights and the serpentine belt. i guess i could always check, but i'm almost positive the belt is routed correctly. over the alternator pulley, under the AC belt, around the crank pulley, over top of the tensioner and then under the next one to the top (forgot which one that was). soo... does anyone know where to start? thanks.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lose connection maybe but it was the opti for me
Old 01-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Launching!

are you serious? haha. cuz i was just telling my dad i didn't know how much longer it would hold up. the car just rolled over on 106k and if i'm not mistaken that's around the time they take their first ****, lol.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could be your Pass Key taking a crap on you. It's pretty intermittent though. Mine cuts out from time to time because of it. Do some searching on it and you will find that quite a few of us have had this problem. Just did it to me the other day in traffic as a matter of fact.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Launching!

i didn't even know about the VATS. i think i want to focus on that.. from what i read there are three modes, but i wasn't paying attention to the security light so i don't know if it was blinking. the only light that came on was check gauges down there in the left corner of the instrument panel. i just know the car wouldn't fire, but it would try. i guess it wasn't getting fuel. the resistor on the key looks clean, so does that mean it could be a bad lock up cylinder? or could part of the problem be the fact that i'm using an obd1 computer?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's mostly inside the ignition cylinder from what I have read. The resistance it reads is a little off from what the key is actually showing, so you have to wire in some more resistors to even it out. I thought it was my fuel pump at first to tell ya the truth. I replaced it and everything was fine til a couple days later when it wouldn't start. I hate VATS!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Launching!

hmm... i used the spare key today and didn't have any problems. i duno there's a few things i need to look into. i need a tune-up anyway so if the VATS is the problem hopefully the spare will hold it off til i can pin-point it or eliminate possibilities. thanks for the input tho.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol do u have any fuel in the tank?? maybe a faulty fuel gauge! i think that check gauges light is trying to tell u something!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Launching!

haha, yea i had put 20 bucks in it about an hour before it happened. i thought of that too, but quickly ruled it out after i reminded myself. it was my first thought, lol.

Search this Thread