General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt Squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Squeak?

Recently, right at startup, the car will have a continous squeaking, sounds like a belt or pulley. (which are stock) the car is a 99. the squeaking noise becomes more apparent during acceleration...it will become louder as the rpms increase...

anyone have a diagnosis and maybe how to fix it? thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Buy a new belt. That's what I did, worked for me.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it is the belt, then change the belt!

Unfortunately though the bearings of both the belt tensioner and the idler pulley of the AC line are poorly lubricated to begin with. If exposed to moisture they have a tendency to chirp. The fix is very simple, just requires your standard socket wrench and I think a 14 or 15 mm socket. Remove pulley, use a VERY small screwdriver (like for glasses) to remove the seal for the bearing. Just insert and pry off. Repack with a fairly lite amount of grease and reseal with same bearing. Too much grease and under load may force the grease out through the seal making a small mess. Requires a bit of care and patience to ensure the lip of the seal is correct when replacing. Use the other pulley as a reference to how the seal should be oriented.

The A/C pulley can be reached from underneath, the tensioner one obviously from the top. Requires moving the belt out of the way, takes about 20-30 mins tops. Use wheel bearing grease for best results. Don't overtorque the bolts for the pulleys, use anti seize or a small amount of blue loctite to hold bolts in place. Just snug and a bit. Maybe 13-15 ft/lb at most to hold them in.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your hearing "bird chirping" sounds its either the tensioner or idler pulley, could be the belt but usually one of the two i mentioned. i replaced one and that fixed the problem.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
if your hearing "bird chirping" sounds its either the tensioner or idler pulley, could be the belt but usually one of the two i mentioned. i replaced one and that fixed the problem.
i also read somewhere that it could be alternator bracker
Old 01-31-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine does it when it is dampish out...I spray SILICONE on the tensioner when it starts again...keeps it from squeeking for a couple months.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just ran into this problem. i found out that it was my a/c idler pully that had gone bad so for now i just took the a/c belt off bc its winter and you dont need a/c. also it gives you alittle extra hp. i also went ahead and replaced the belt tensioner pully and the belts.
hopefully its not as bad as mine used to be bc my alternator bearing went bad and had to buy a whole new alternator
Old 02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

alright thanks guys, ill check up on it!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Launching!

my car started this about 500 miles ago. its very annoying, just like the pushrods "ticking" so i guess ill might try to repack the bearings like said above.

take care guys, hope our birds stop chirping!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just noticed my car doing this today. It's coming from the driverside. I'm gonna hit em 1 by 1 with WD-40.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

wow mine started doing this too. Im gonna check this out. seems like ever since I decided I was going to sell it, all hell has broken loose. figures, lol. good topic and advice fellas.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone know which is more common to fail, the idler, or tnesioner? I just pulled my belt for now as a new gatorback belt didnt help anything. I was looking for the tensioner and pulley's from a couple parts stores last spring when I was first trying to solve this and wasnt able to find a replacement. Anyone have a part # and stroe you got it at?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Mine does it when it is dampish out...I spray SILICONE on the tensioner when it starts again...keeps it from squeeking for a couple months.
yes i just did that and solved the problem. i sprayed the idler pulle and tensioner.