General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wobbly noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobbly noise?

Hello,

I am trying to track down a wobble noise coming from the rear that increases frequency with speed. The car is an 02 Z28 6M. When I first got the car, it had sat for 3 months and I thought the noise was because the crappy kumho tires had flat spotted. Well, I just got new tires (245/50/16, Firestone Wide Oval) last weekend and the noise went down some, but it is still there.

Here is some background information, the rear end was replaced about 3k ago. When the rear end was replaced, I specifically asked them if the axles were good. They said yes, and at this point I would believe them because there is very little vibration. I don't remember if the wobbly sound was there before the rear end was replaced.

Maybe I'm too **** about noises in cars. To anybody else who gets in my car, they probably wouldn't notice the noise. We also have a 98 V6 A4 (with Pirelli all-seasons 215/60/16) that does not have this noise. So, when I change cars the noise is very noticable to me. I'm debating switching wheels with the V6 temporarily to see if the noise goes away. After that, I would wait until it was time to change out the rear brake pads and just replace the rear rotors while I was at it. Also, the tires in my car are like 5 times as loud as the V6 tires, but I'm thinking this must just be the difference in tires.

What do you think?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

do just as you said put the v6 tires on your car then see how that affects it. but also more description as to how the what it sounds like.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kokingSS
do just as you said put the v6 tires on your car then see how that affects it. but also more description as to how the what it sounds like.
Well, the tire roar is much louder than the v6 at all times, and I can get over this because that may just be the price of performance tires.

The wobbly sound is a waah waah noise that increases and decreases frequency with speed. I would describe the sound as tire roar changing volume back and forth with each rotation. I have also thought about the possibility of it being a wheel bearing, but if you jack up the car and try to move rear wheels there is no play (also of course, new wheel bearings were used with the new rear end). As you said, I'll have to switch the wheels with the V6 to filter out the possibility of the wheels / tires being bad.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Teching In

PSCMJ84
Did you ever find a resolution to your problem?

I have a situation that's similar. When bought my car it had worn out Kumhos on it. I just blamed my "wha-wha" noise on them. Today I got a new set of G Force sports put on and although the ride is smoother, it still "wha-whas." To be more specific, when I'm at cruising speeds (read: steady 45-65mph) the tires have an almost "exhaust resonance-ish" sound. Does that sound similar to your problem?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Teching In

I'm trying to remember, I actually sold the car last July. For me, it turned out to be a bent rim. I moved the bad rim to the front of the car and that helpled out with the noise. When the bent rim was still in the rear, I actually bought some dynamat type sound deadener and put that all under carpet around the portion where the rear end protrudes into the cabin. That cut the noise by half, but I could still hear it.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Bent rim, ouch. I hope that isn't the case with my car. I would think a bent rim would come up during the balancing process of tire mounting. How did you diagnose your rim, if you can remember that is?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:37 AM
Teching In

I'm not sure why Tires Plus didn't tell me when they put the new tires on. Anyways, when I went to the dealer complaining that the rear end they put in was wobbly was when they found the bent rim. They showed me damage on the rim and from looking at it you could see a good 3 inch section of the rim that was visibly bent inward.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a similar noise and it was my back brakes rubbing on the rotor

Quick Reply: Wobbly noise?