LS6 intake
Lid + K&N filter
85mm MAF
no AIR
no EGR
250A alternator
Optima Yellow top battery
PCM has been programmed to delete codes for mods

Now, after all the mods had been done, I drove the car for 3 months with no problems. Then- the car was put into storage for a year (started monthly)
and shipped overseas. I recieved the car, and drove it for approximately a week. Two days after recieving the car, it stalled on me. The motor just quit like the key had been removed, but it started right back up with no problems. It did this several more times throughout the week. Then the problem became worse, it would die, and not start for 15-20 minutes. The car would just crank and crank without starting. Then a day or two later it would not start again until an hour or so had passed. I thought the MAF or some sensor had gone bad, so I had the codes read since i got a SES light. ( I noticed this was on after i picked the car up) The code read "P0102" (I think) "high/Low MAF voltage" (i think). So, I replaced the MAF and throttlebody. This made no difference. I then replaced both o2 sensors with brand new ones, and this made no difference. The car when started will run for approx. 5-7 minutes then instantly die (like the key is turned off), and will not restart, only crank until the battery is dead. If I let it sit for an hour or two, it will start again, just to die in 5-7 minutes again. It's going to be extraordianly expensive for me to get the car repaired at the local Italian Chevrolet dealer, so I would really like to fix this myself if possible. So, please if anyone has any idea what this could be, please post. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Security light doing anything?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a Crankshaft or camshaft position sensor to me. My 2002 2500HD had a crank sensor go bad. It would drive for 15 minutes and cut off when it went into closed loop. Try driving your car until it dies and then clearing the codes with your code reader (if it can). It should start right back up and run for another 5-7 minutes as your stated. Do a little research on both of those sensors and see if that sounds familiar.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignition switch?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

5-7 minutes sounds about right for the closed loop deal on these cars
Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Security light doing anything?
Nope, security light doesn't come on. It's acting like there isnt any spark, or the computer isn't allowing the motor to start.

Originally Posted by FMX05
Sounds like a Crankshaft or camshaft position sensor to me. My 2002 2500HD had a crank sensor go bad. It would drive for 15 minutes and cut off when it went into closed loop. Try driving your car until it dies and then clearing the codes with your code reader (if it can). It should start right back up and run for another 5-7 minutes as your stated. Do a little research on both of those sensors and see if that sounds familiar.
OK, cool- i'll look into that. Thanks! Does anyone have any other ideas i can check out?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

It doesent seem like those are the symptoms i'm experiencing. It's not backfiring or flashing a SES light. Here's a thread i found regarding the CPS: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ensor+position
anyway- i'll look into that. It jyst sucks I gotta pull the intake manifold first. Thanks! Does anyone have any other ideas i can check out?

EDIT: Tonight when I get home, i'm going to Reset the SES light and do the PCM re-learn procedures. Maybe (slim chance) it'll clear codes and work right before I go ripping the intake off.

Last edited by Snootch; 02-11-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you use fuel stabilizer before your storage? If not, your fuel system may be gummed up.

You may try replacing your fuel filter and using a fuel additive and see if that resolves the issue for you.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
Did you use fuel stabilizer before your storage? If not, your fuel system may be gummed up.

You may try replacing your fuel filter and using a fuel additive and see if that resolves the issue for you.
Actually I did use Lucas fuel stabilizer before i put it in storage. I'm not sure it's a fuel problem, because it starts up and runs fine for 5-7 minutes and doesn't sputter or hesitate one bit. it just dies instantly like I turned the ignition off.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Dammit, i reset the PCM and then did the PCM re-learn procedure and it ran for 10 minutes then died. BUT, I noticed that when it's colder outside it runs longer before dying. I think that it is dying once the motor warms all the way up, not necessairily at a specific time but I could be wrong. Any other thoughts besides the cam position sensor?

Last edited by Snootch; 02-11-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's not the same car but had a buddy with a Taurus SHO that did basically the same thing, would just crap out on him, almost predictable on the time too. He changed crank pos. sensor and it ran perfectly after that. I'm with that or cam sensor personally.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Launching!

check your fuses you will get that code if the one for the maf is blown
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whiteLS1
check your fuses you will get that code if the one for the maf is blown
I forgot to mention all the fuses are good. I will check both the crank position sensor and cam position sensor.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my car had the same symptoms when the engine coolant temperature sensor was not connected properly and dirty. the car would get warmed up and then kill itself, but it would start if i held the gas pedal to the floor and turned the key. i flashed a ses for coolant sensor tho
Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
my car had the same symptoms when the engine coolant temperature sensor was not connected properly and dirty. the car would get warmed up and then kill itself, but it would start if i held the gas pedal to the floor and turned the key. i flashed a ses for coolant sensor tho
Hmm, I havent tried starting it with the pedal to the floor. I'll try that and see if the coolant temp sensor is the culprit. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Malicious
I know it's not the same car but had a buddy with a Taurus SHO that did basically the same thing, would just crap out on him, almost predictable on the time too. He changed crank pos. sensor and it ran perfectly after that. I'm with that or cam sensor personally.
I'm with CPS... I have an SHO that did this (but I don't think I know Malicious...)

I replaced the CPS and its been good to me for the last two years.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jkichline
I'm with CPS... I have an SHO that did this (but I don't think I know Malicious...)

I replaced the CPS and its been good to me for the last two years.
When you say CPS, do you mean Cam Position Sensor, or Crank position Sensor?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Snootch
When you say CPS, do you mean Cam Position Sensor, or Crank position Sensor?
Ummm... Well...

I replaced both while I was in there. Sorry. I know that doesn't help you. Getting to the front of that engine (Yamaha 3.0 DOHC - front wheel drive) isn't easy...
Old 02-12-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

both... because ultimately they would cause similar symptoms...
Old 02-12-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not asking to be spoon-fed, but I looked and can't find the part #'s or locations of these sensors. can anyone please shed some light on this?