General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Chatter sound coming from rear end or wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chatter sound coming from rear end or wheels...

My car started doing this about hmmmm 2 months ago i would say. Its is a 1999 Z28 with the M6. While driving slow its not loud but def. noticable....the best way to describe it is like chh chh chh, but when you go faster the pitch of the sound goes up. I am going to add some positraction fluid to it but i doubt that will help seeing as i have the stock rear and everything so i suppose its a torsen unit. Before the noise started i never have had a probelm with the rear end locking though, and now it seems eratic, somtimes it will lock when im spiinnin them sometimes it doesnt. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ben
Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

you rear end is starting to die, you have two routes- replace/ fix the rear about 400 bucks- but may have to do this a couple of times if you plan on keeping the car for awhile. You other option is to save up and get a strong rear for the car 12 bolt or 9 inch- about 2400, but you wouldn't have to fix the rear.

For a M6 I would recomend getting a built rear for it, and not waste money on the 10 bolt unless you really don't have the money.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You may just need to add some gm posi trac additive to it. If it mainly does it going around tight corners that may be all the problem is. I would recommend pulling the rear cover changing the oil and inspecting everything real close. GM posi's are notorious for acting like this when it is time to add the additive. It is a friction modifier.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
You may just need to add some gm posi trac additive to it. If it mainly does it going around tight corners that may be all the problem is. I would recommend pulling the rear cover changing the oil and inspecting everything real close. GM posi's are notorious for acting like this when it is time to add the additive. It is a friction modifier.
x2...i've had the same problem...changing the fluid wont hurt anything. Be sure to add the limited slip additive. My old 95 TA would make a clunking noise when backing up and turning at the same time...new fluid and additive fixed it.

Quick Reply: Chatter sound coming from rear end or wheels...