General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight/electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headlight/electrical problem

I just got back from trying to get my car inspected. It was two months past inspection due to a headlight motor problem. A few years ago I had bought the brass gear from Brent and installed it. Everything was fine for awhile but over time the housing came apart and we'd re-opoxy it. Recently the headlight door stopped working and due to time we didnt get to it till recently. We figured the housing had come apart but it didnt....opened it back up and saw one area of the brass gear was worn down so we flipped it around and installed it. It worked and everything was fine so I thought till today. When they checked the headlights the door opened but wouldnt go back down and the lowbeam wouldnt work. They tested it and it has power but still wont work...tried a new light...still wont work. Tested the lights they are fine so I dont know what's going on. Now the headlight door wont go down!!! We manually tried to lower it and it wont work. The arm moves but the door doesnt go down.

I'm so frustrated with this thing and not sure what to do. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated. And also I need a wiring diagram for the drivers side headlight.

-Michelle
Old 02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Thats weird. Maybe it got a short from wear & tear. you have had to fix it numerous times. I'd suggest just buying a replacement motor & seeing if thay will fix it. If its got a short that could not only keep it from moving but keep the light from working too.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess that's my last resort Mike. But why cant we manually make the headlight door go down? The arm moves but the headlight doesnt

Right now I'm so upset at this because it's something so freakin stupid....just a darn headlight!!! This headlight motor is driving me crazy!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

check the plug more than likely thats the problem. same thing happend with my friends car and we had to end up hardwiring the wires cause the plug was so corroted that it wasnt getting a good connection.

if any questions pm me
Old 02-15-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. But I do have a question now on the headlight motor....what would cause it to not manually move? The arm moves but the headlight assembly doesnt.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just an update in case anyone else every has this problem that I had. After checking everything it turned out to be the harness and headlamp socket that was causing the lowbeam to not work We replaced both of those and now I'm good to go. As far as the headlight motor problem itself that's and odd one. I messed around with it..took the arm off and reinstalled it again and now it works fine.