General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spare tire rattle - mysterious

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire rattle - mysterious

if you have a rattle and it is NOT the spare tire....... check this

i took the spare tire and tools/jack out and it rattled for a week..... so i looked again and it turns out a black plastic piece that i believe is holding the amp for the speakers is rattling..... heres what i did

took the bottom bolt out of the triangular shaped plastic piece(black) and pushed it behind the metal fender well so the tab on the plastic piece is behind the fender well..... then bolted it back in and NO MORE RATTLE...... this is only temporary however

if you over tighten like I did the plastic tab that is spacing the triangular piece will break. i heard my snap while i was driving and i can now hear it rattle slightly every once in a while

-the best way to fix this would be to put washers between the triangular plastic piece and the fender well. here are some pictures. sorry about the quality cell phone

Old 02-16-2008, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one else has had this problem????
Old 02-16-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually had a problem with my amp rattling too. It was vibrating against the metal piece it is mounted to. All I did was put some electrical tape in the gap between the two to take up the slack and it doesn't rattle anymore.