General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration/Knocking through acceleration

Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration/Knocking through acceleration

Hey, any help or insight that anyone can offer at all would be greatly appreciated, cause I'm stumped.

I recently took my 2001 WS6 to get checked out for a whining from the rear end, had the carrier bearings replaced and some work done on the exhaust. The dealership did that and I was a little leary, so we had our hometown shop take the rear end apart again and double check after the dealer returned it. Everything was 'just fine'. But.... now that we have it back there is a pretty hefty vibration accelerating through 2-3k Rpm or so, which wasn't there before.

No one is quite sure what the deal is. The vibration is present through all speeds while accelerating and just slightly (only sometimes) at cruise in 6th. As a test, I placed the car in neutral at about 40mph and revved the engine, the sound/vibration comes back/increases, so that seems to me a pretty good indication that it's NOT the rear end. (?) And the muffler shop said the exhaust is OK.

Maybe a driveline or clutch problem?? Any ideas?

Thanks!

- Kevin, Laughlin AFB
Old 02-16-2008, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had a vibration on the drivers side......i tightend down all the clamps and heat shields all my suspension (lca's,phb) and it went away
Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have your local shop check the pinion angle?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Teching In

I was told I had a loose heat shield and a little play in one of the rear tires, so I'll definitely check into that more when I can get it on the lift. I'll also check into the pinion angle.

What do you think about it maybe being the pressure plate or springs?

thanks for your help guys.

Search this Thread