General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 04-29-2016, 04:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These damn BCM scare the HELL out of me! All the work we put into these cars and they can be taken out by this stupid and pointless thing! What happens 10 years from now when they are all gone, or ours are so old that they can't be rebuilt!?

DM
Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Teching In

This thread RULES! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this subject. It took me less than an hour to remove, re-solder and replace the BCM and it seems to work like a charm. This fix saved me about $300. I've been trying to figure out this problem for a couple of years.
Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I start my car the security system goes off, I have had vats issues and when I try to unlock the doors nothing happens. Going to take my BCM out next weekend and see if anything looks cracked.

I assume 96-97 LT1's are similar?
Old 03-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Teching In

1st let me say hello, I seldom visit this site but I recently purchased a 99 z28 with multiple problems. The power windows didn't work, power mirrors didn't work and the power door locks didn't work. Previous owner had removed all the interior panels but he did still have them. All except for one rear speaker cover. Anyway, I managed to find the problem with the windows. Bad ground. Someone had changed out the drivers side window motor and left the mounting bolts loose, one was missing all together. Installed the missing bolt and tightened the others and windows now work fine. I found the problem with the mirrors aswell. Broken wire from the switch. Now for the bad, I have no idea what is wrong with the locks. Sometimes when I hit the lock button it sounds the door chime, sometimes it locks the doors. When it sounds the door chime door does not lock. It never unlocks the doors. Does the same thing from both sides. Tested the switch on driver side it is reversing the polarity as it's supposed to. I found this thread do a search looking for info. I wasn't sure if it would help but I went ahead and pulled the body control module and did the soldier as specified in this thread. I also soldiered the posts onto the 4 relays. Reinstalled the module but it didn't make any changes to anything except the service vehicle light on the dash in no longer on but the light for security is still on. I don't know where else to go with this other than to replace the module and hope for the best. I'm not sure the module is the problem but I can't find anything else to test. Can the module keep the doors from unlocking and can it make the door chime come on when locking the doors? Thanks for any help. I'm getting desperate, not desperate enough to take it to the stealer though.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
**** i just read this whole thread and saw the problem im having addressed a few times and not one answer.

I have no interior lights, no power locks, it sounds like something is clicking at me every 10 seconds i have a dead as dead can be battery but my power windows work. I dont have a key fob to see if that works.

anyone?! im seriously about to shoot myself over this
Plus 1.

I have no interior lights, no power door locks, no keyless entry, no rear window defogger, no stereo, no power seats.

I do have PWs and clicking in the BCM.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Teching In

No dash lights no fog lights no tail lights and no stereo help
Old 05-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Teching In

OK you geniuses. Tell me if this will work. My bcm is bad so I bought a uswed one on ebay for $12. I bought it before I knew it could only be keyed once. Anyway, I stuck it in the car and the door lock problems I was having vanished. This is my plan, I bought a #2 key blank since #1 was not used since 1987, my original key is #15. I plan to cut the new key same as my old key. It will go in ignition and turn but probably not start the car, but I'm gonna try to install a resistor inline to make up the difference. I figure a $12 box and a $13 key and up to 12 different resistor possibilities wll be way cheaper than a new box and hopefully I can still keep the security system. Any thoughts if this would work? I have the box and new key on the way. I WILL find out.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by red_diablo
No dash lights no fog lights no tail lights and no stereo help
Not at all related to the BCM. Test your TAIL LPS fuse first. If that doesn't work, start a new thread describing the problem.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by camaro540cid
OK you geniuses. Tell me if this will work. My bcm is bad so I bought a uswed one on ebay for $12. I bought it before I knew it could only be keyed once. Anyway, I stuck it in the car and the door lock problems I was having vanished. This is my plan, I bought a #2 key blank since #1 was not used since 1987, my original key is #15. I plan to cut the new key same as my old key. It will go in ignition and turn but probably not start the car, but I'm gonna try to install a resistor inline to make up the difference. I figure a $12 box and a $13 key and up to 12 different resistor possibilities wll be way cheaper than a new box and hopefully I can still keep the security system. Any thoughts if this would work? I have the box and new key on the way. I WILL find out.
Yes, that should work. Do a search on "VATS bypass" to find directions on how to do it.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fixed mine today, great thread. The lower part of the "T" the solder is darker, not shiny like the others. This indicates cracks.

Mine seems to be ok.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to see peeps still using this fix all these years later.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did this to mine this past weekend. No issues so far!!! Thanks!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

cant lock my car with the remote , nothing related to the bcm ?

if not, how can I test the remote?? sorry if offtopic but Im not very familiar of how the alarm in my camaro works...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Was it working before and then it stopped? Batteries could be bad, the remote itself could be bad, for starters. I'd get fresh batteries and start from there. The programming procedure is in your owner's manual, or search on the forums and google as well...
Old 06-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Just fixed my 97 ws6 today with this thread, every now and then when I would push the button to roll my window down the radio would cut off and no power to both windows. I was praying that this was not a huge electrical problem. Thank god for you guys!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:39 AM

I have a 2000 Corvette that recently had water damage to the BCM (as near as I can tell the A/C drain got blocked and it overflowed onto the BCM). I don't want to bother with trying to fix the BCM and will just buy a new one, my question is, is the BCM essentially a "plug and play" part (other than the VIN being programmed into it by the manufacturer) or do I need to have it tuned to the car by someone?
Old 07-01-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Originally Posted by TheWildRover
I have a 2000 Corvette that recently had water damage to the BCM (as near as I can tell the A/C drain got blocked and it overflowed onto the BCM). I don't want to bother with trying to fix the BCM and will just buy a new one, my question is, is the BCM essentially a "plug and play" part (other than the VIN being programmed into it by the manufacturer) or do I need to have it tuned to the car by someone?

From the GM service manual for a 2000 Corvette....
Notice

To prevent possible electrostatic discharge damage to the BCM, do not touch the connector pins or soldered components on the circuit board.

Notice

To prevent internal BCM damage, the ignition must be OFF when disconnecting or reconnecting power to BCM (for example, battery cable, BCM connectors, BCM fuses, jumper cables, etc.).

Notice

The BCM electrical connectors are designed with tabs and slots that allow the connectors to only fit one way. The connectors do not require excessive force if being installed correctly. Installing the connectors with the wrong mating half or upside down can cause damage to the connector, the BCM, or other vehicle components or systems.

Removal:Turn OFF the ignition switch.
Remove the front floor kick-up panel (RH). Refer to Kick-Up Panel Replacement - Front Floor in Interior Trim.
Pull up on the BCMs lower mounting tab to release the BCM from the bracket.
Release the BCMs upper mounting tabs by lifting the BCM out of the slots in the bracket.
Disconnect the harness connectors from the BCM.
Remove the BCM from the vehicle.

Installation:
Turn OFF the ignition switch.
Connect the harness connectors to the BCM.
Position the BCMs upper mounting tabs into the slots in the bracket.
Push the lower mounting tab into the bracket and snap the BCM into place.
Install the front floor kick-up panel (RH). Refer to Kick-Up Panel Replacement - Front Floor in Interior Trim.
If a new or replacement BCM is being installed into the vehicle, program the BCM to the current vehicle. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration .
Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Configuration:

Manual Programming (Domestic/Canada Only)

Using a Tech 2, select New BCM Setup and program the BCM with the correct RPO code configuration.
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes.
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes or until DTC P1630 sets.
Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF and wait 30 seconds.
Attempt to start the engine. If the engine does not start, Refer to the Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls.

Important

Performing this procedure may cause a DTC P1630 to set. If a DTC P1630 sets, turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds, then turn ON the ignition. If the DTC P1630 does not clear, Refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls.

Tech 2 to Techline Terminal

Using a Tech 2, select New BCM Setup and program the BCM with the correct RPO code configuration.
Enter the Service Programming System (SPS) using a Tech 2.
Enter the vehicle information.
Choose the Request Info soft key on the Tech 2.
Select Done.
Follow the instructions on the Vehicle Set-up screen.
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle.
Connect the Tech 2 to the Techline terminal.
At the Techline terminal select Service Programming System (SPS) and select terminal to Tech 2 programming method.
Select Done.
Follow the instructions on the remaining screens.
Select the Vehicle Theft Re-learn option.
Select Program at the summary screen. The terminal will download information to the Tech 2.
Return the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
Connect the Tech 2 to Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC).
Select Service Programming from the Tech 2 main menu.
Answer the prompts regarding the model year and vehicle type.
Press the Theft Re-learn soft key on the Tech 2.
Attempt to start the engine. If the engine does not start, Refer to the Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls.

Important

Performing this procedure may cause a DTC P1630 to set. If a DTC P1630 sets, turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds, then turn ON the ignition and P1630 clears. If the DTC P1630 does not clear, Refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls.

Techline Terminal to Vehicle (No Tech 2)

Enter the Service Programming System (SPS) using a Techline Terminal (T-50/T-60).
Select terminal to vehicle programming.
Select Done.
Follow the instructions on the Vehicle Set-up screen.
Select the Vehicle Theft Re-learn option.

Important

Performing this procedure may cause a DTC P1630 to set. If a DTC P1630 sets, turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds, then turn ON the ignition. If the DTC P1630 does not clear, Refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls.

Important

After programming, perform the following to avoid future misdiagnosis:

Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds.
Connect the scan tool to the data link connector.
Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF.
Use the scan tool in order to retrieve history DTCs from all modules.
Clear all history DTCs.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Bear in mind that the procedure quoted above applies to Corvettes. The F-body BCM is much simpler and requires no special tools. On a Camaro or Firebird, the BCM will automatically self-program to the first VATS key used in the ignition after installation. Just install the new BCM, insert your ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the ON position without starting the car. Leave it that way for about 30 seconds and your BCM is programmed.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been having my radio turn off randomy for a couple years and it's always driven me crazy!! A friend said that it's probably my BCM, and after reading this and hearing about people fixing this same problem, I am really looking forward to fixing this stupid issue!

Quick Reply: LS1 Body Control Module Problems - The Fix