General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car overheats when AC is on

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car overheats when AC is on

for some reason this summer evertime i turn the AC on the car starts to over heat. first thing i checked was to see if the fans were coming on, wich they are second i checked the coolent level. that was fine. this happens when im sittin in a parking lot or driving down the road

help cant figure it out
Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are both of them coming on? Also, check for any debris between the condenser and radiator like leaves and such.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

everything is clean and good to go. it just doesnt make sense to me?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitew01ws6
for some reason this summer evertime i turn the AC on the car starts to over heat. first thing i checked was to see if the fans were coming on, wich they are second i checked the coolent level. that was fine. this happens when im sittin in a parking lot or driving down the road

help cant figure it out
If you can run with the A/C "ON" when driving at cruise speeds on the highway and NOT overheat while the A/C is "off" during city driving....but overheat while city driving with the A/C "on"....it can only be one thing.

A clogged up condensor. Over time sticks, little rocks, dirt, leaves and other **** gets all crammed into the front side of the condensor. As soon as you turn the A/C on the condensor gets warm, if the air cannot pass through it and go directly into the radiator to cool your coolant....you will simply get hotter and hotter until it goes into the red.

You need to take the radiator out, then grab a 2x4 piece of wood and SMACK the **** out of the condensor up against the wood, like 50 times HARD. You will see all kinds of **** fall out of the front of the condensor onto the ground.

Then you'll be fine. (This is assuming BOTH of your fans work on both high and low settings and come on when they are supposed to)
Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitew01ws6
everything is clean and good to go. it just doesnt make sense to me?
You can't tell if your condensor is dirty until you take the radiator out and get to look straight on to the font of the condensor. Mine was almost 90% clogged with debris, you couldn't see through it at all. After I banged all the crap out I could see through the entire thing no problem.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

good time to take it out is a cam swap!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by King Nothing
good time to take it out is a cam swap!

yeah no kiddin i will have do take it apart tommorow thanks for all your guys help and if that doesent work ill burn the car

and about the cam swap, iam a cheap *** i got 300 bucks some one sell me a cam kit lol
Old 06-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im guessing its a clogged radiator man!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by needadvice
You can't tell if your condensor is dirty until you take the radiator out and get to look straight on to the font of the condensor. Mine was almost 90% clogged with debris, you couldn't see through it at all. After I banged all the crap out I could see through the entire thing no problem.
did u disconnect ur complete condensor?? so basically u let out all the refrigerant
Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ae13291
did u disconnect ur complete condensor?? so basically u let out all the refrigerant
No, I don't unhook anything from the condensor. The condensor just sits there but it can move alot. Just bang the **** out of it against the wood. Make sure you bang the outside top rim part of the condensor up against the wood, not the inner area.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im guessing its a clogged radiator man!
If it was it would probably over heat with the A/C off as well.

Might as well flush the radiator while its out though.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe the fans never go into high speed,just low?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

if the condenser is clogged it should over heat while moving also, by not letting airflow throught to the radiator
Old 06-11-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
if the condenser is clogged it should over heat while moving also, by not letting airflow throught to the radiator
wrong. No matter how clogged the condensor gets, when the fans come on they WILL pull enough air through the radiator to keep the coolant cool, AS LONG AS THE A/C IS OFF. Air gets to the radiator from all kinds of places, its not a sealed system.

When you put the A/C on and you have a clogged condensor, the condensor gets friggin HOT, and all that hot air gets pulled right through the fans and into the radiator, and that doesn't allow the already hot coolant that just transferred into the radiator when the t-stat opened to cool off. So when the cooler coolant that just transferred into the engine block/heads gets hot and opens the t-stat again to transfer the coolant....its gonna get a nice big gulp of HOT coolant that never got cool while it was sitting in the radiator. The engine just gets hotter and hotter and hotter, its a a losing battle. Engines are the best hot water heaters. Then at some point the t-stat WILL NOT close and this is when the temp guage looks like a windshield wiper going towards the red.

When your on the highway the ram air is also sufficient to keep enough air getting to the radiator to keep it cool even with the A/C on.

NOW....if the air space inbetween the condensor and radiator were shrouded to the point that it was sealed and the only way the radiator could get air is from the air that has already past through the condensor....THEN YES....you would be fucked no matter what.

This is not the case. So, from hot *** air getting pulled through the fans PLUS 110*-130* hot as hell air coming off the pavement via the air dam = overheat with the A/C "on" in city driving.

My temp gauge would go into the red if I let it in about 4 minutes, after I turned the A/C "on" in hot weather, in city driving. I simply turn it off and keep driving and it goes right back down to about 190* in another 5 minutes or so. If I din't use my A/C and drove like a friggin madman in city driving, the temps would never hit 220*. Turn the A/C "on" and I was fucked again.

He cleans the condensor and his problems are over.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

it should still run a higher temp at hwy speeds if the condenser is blocked than normal
Old 06-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

i still think its the radiator, but it wont hurt to clean the condensor. when the radiator is clogged and he turns on the A/c there is much more load on the motor, i bet if he drives up a hill or finds a way to put stress on the motor like how the A/C is doing, it will overheat with the A/c off!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
it should still run a higher temp at hwy speeds if the condenser is blocked than normal
Mine never did, always ran cool. If I turned the A/C on during highway driving it would go up a tad, like maybe a couple needle widths, thats it. But it would never get near the 220 mark. It would stay inbetween the 155 and 220 mark, which in my car, is nice and cool. As soon as I got off the highway I would have to turn my A/C off, or overheat.

And yes, I've had my PCM scanned while driving and the temp guage is pretty close to accurate, its about 10-15 degrees low.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i still think its the radiator, but it wont hurt to clean the condensor. when the radiator is clogged and he turns on the A/c there is much more load on the motor, i bet if he drives up a hill or finds a way to put stress on the motor like how the A/C is doing, it will overheat with the A/c off!
Then he should go for a drive with the A/C "off" and beat the **** out of it for about 15-20 minutes. I have a built 427ci stroker, just a tad under 500 RWHP and when my condensor was clogged I could beat the **** out of it in 90* south Florida weather and it would never get hot.

Its very rare and very hard to have a clogged radiator, what there to clog it. Does he have 150,000 miles on it without having ever changed the coolant? Does he have oil or power steering fluid getting into the coolant? If not, there's really nothing else that can clog a radiator, except maybe a rag.

If he can see the coolant flowing when the t-stat opens, with the rad cap off, its fine.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by needadvice
Then he should go for a drive with the A/C "off" and beat the **** out of it for about 15-20 minutes. I have a built 427ci stroker, just a tad under 500 RWHP and when my condensor was clogged I could beat the **** out of it in 90* south Florida weather and it would never get hot.

Its very rare and very hard to have a clogged radiator, what there to clog it. Does he have 150,000 miles on it without having ever changed the coolant? Does he have oil or power steering fluid getting into the coolant? If not, there's really nothing else that can clog a radiator, except maybe a rag.

If he can see the coolant flowing when the t-stat opens, with the rad cap off, its fine.
o man, if u see what that dex crap does to our cooling systems, u would know why the radiator would get clogged! but it is not only from that , why do u think some companies sell a radiator filter for cars and trucks, and why do semi trucks have a radiator filter standard on some trucks, they look just like an oil filter but it for coolent!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

o man, if u see what that dex crap does to our cooling systems, u would know why the radiator would get clogged! but it is not only from that , why do u think some companies sell a radiator filter for cars and trucks, and why do semi trucks have a radiator filter standard on some trucks, they look just like an oil filter but it for coolent!
I never opened my coolant system until I had almost 50,000 miles. It was clean as it could be. Had my 427ci installed and drove it for 2 years before my over heating started. Thats when I found the condensor all clogged up. I clean it every 2 years now and ever since I started doing this there's no possible way to over heat my stroker engine, A/C "on" full blast in 90*+ weather hear in Miami. Its due again so I'll be doing it again next week if I have time, because its getting hotter when I run my A/C in city driving.

This is plain and simple troubleshooting. Its been about a dozen guys problems that I've helped down here over the years. It drives them nuts trying to figure it out until I tell them what it is.

Its pretty simple...if your engine overheats ONLY when you turn the A/C "on".....its an A/C system problem that is causing the engine/coolant to heat up. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the coolant system. Our coolant systems can handle 427ci-454ci built engines, mine is a perfect example. But with a clogged condensor, you're screwed. With a clogged radiator your ALWAYS going to over heat, even in the winter time in 10* weather. Ever see what happens to a condensor in a house when it gets dirty...the house blows hot air because the entire system gets hot. Same thing happening here.

Dex is **** though. I've been using 90% water and about 1 quart of Dex for lubrication. Its been perfect for 5+ years. Radiator is spotless inside, looks new.

Quick Reply: car overheats when AC is on