General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lighting Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Question

I had a problem for the last week or so. 1st it a 2001 ws6. About a week ago I changed out a flasher unit for it being bad, but now the problem im having is that when i press in the brake my right turn signal light on the dash comes on and my front right running light also lights up. Also I been told tht my right brake light doesent light as bright as my left tail light. the front socket has been changed and I just changed out the bulb. I dont know if the blinker blub went bad or something else. After i changed out the bulb I noticed that the drl wont turn on, on the right side but will light up with the switch turned to on. Any insight would be helpful
Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flasher unit might not have been bad, or went bad in leiu of another existing problem. You have a short somewhere. Do you drive the car in the winter? Do you have water buildup in the taillight housings?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately a short somewhere. Check all your housings and look for moisture buildup. Check all the harness and check for corrsion and or black charred plastic
Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I started checking all the housing, All in the rear look good. the only 1 I found was the driver running light housing in pretty bad shape. Im going to autozone in the morning to get a new one. As for the tails I looks like my passenger tail Is a little darker than my drivers one? Weird. Also The 194 lights on the tails were both burnt.

Last edited by itsjac; 05-07-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Well I chaged out the bad housing and put in all fresh bulbs. The only problem im having is still when I put my foot on the brake, my front right turn signal lights up with my brak lights and the turn signal on the dash stay contanst lit up. i check 99 percent of the ground and they are all good. The only thing I can think of is it possible something in the steering column. Any advince shoot it my way. Thanks JAc
Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You still have a short or wiring problem.

One of your brake lights is somehow wired/shorted to your right blinker circuit.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Well trouble shoot it down to a bad blinker switch in the steering column. Changed it out today and everything work like brand new.