General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

First timer ??'s about re-installing motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First timer ??'s about re-installing motor

Well,
This is my first time but from what I can tell with all the write ups, I've got about an hour of work left before the motor and trans drop out of '98 Z. I've got some questions before I go back in with it.

I want to keep the car where it will pass LA inspection, but it will never be a DD for anyone... it's strictly a toy that I just want to be able to cruise to town in no and again between races.

What all wiring/plumbing/other crap can be left off when I put it back together?

I'm doing AC and Power Steering delete, and also plan on going back with an A3 trans. Any info given will be greatly appreciated, but please remember that I need details and specifics when speaking on wiring/plumbing/other crap.

This site has/is proving to be an ir-replaceable resource for working on my car. Here's some pics of the progress. Keep in mind, this started off as a cam swap, then-all the sudden out of nowhere, turned into a full blown re-do.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not familiar with your states emissions laws so...cant really tell you what you can leave off

however for the ac delete its pretty simple...leave all hard parts off...compressor, drier, reciever, condensor..etc etc...theres a compressor wire you can leave off...theres another wire that connects to the lines coming out of the fire wall you can leave off...i took mine off the other day, sorry i dont have pics
Old 04-19-2008, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

LA want catalytic conv. on all 1980 and up vehicles, and some kind of muffler.

That's it!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are you pulling the motor from the top? It is easier to just drop the whole K member with the engine and tranny as one. Basically lift the car off the engine. Im sure you knew that, just want to make it easier on you if you dont.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

It's coming out the bottom...
Next steps are:
Remove the front wheels
Remove front brake lines
Remove steering shaft nut
Unbolt the tran x member
pic up car from frame with hoist
lower k-member to dolly
unbolt strut towers and cradle
pickup the car and be proud of myself!!!!

THe reason the top-end is mostly gone from the motor is that I was going to do an Z06 upgrade to this '98 motor with cam, intake, springs, oil pump, yada, yada, yada... but decided to go ahead and pull the motor for a complete build.