General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird RPM Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird RPM Issue

Hey guys! My issue occurs at idle, like sitting at a stoplight. Everything appears alright and my car is sitting at around 600 RPMs. If I lift off the brake, it will slowly start chugging its way up the RPMs to sometimes a little above 1000. Now this is far from instant, but it seems to want to move itself forward without me touching the gas pedal. This has started happening after I got new LS6 Intake/Heads installed a little while ago. I thought maybe its either a vacuum leak somewhere or it could be the IAC. The only other issue which is probably related is that when downshifting braking towards a light, the RPMs will jump more than they used to prior to the install. I'm looking for anyone with an educated guess at my issue. Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

I kind of have the same problem myself. My idle is around 1400rpms. Between shifts the rpms will climb. After crusing at highway speeds and then coming to a light, rpms will be at 2000+ and will take a while to come down on there own. I can be at 70 mph in 6th gear and the car is defiently driving itself, I dont have to use the gas pedal at all to maintain speed. Be interested if anyone has had the same problem and fixed it or deteremined the cause.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow! If our issues are related, yours is definitely more serious LastHawk.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright guys I've searched but come up with nothing. If its a leak wouldnt there be constant RPM movement? It only does it when I release the brake, otherwise it is consistent