General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1992 Dodge Dakota problem (Grandpa's truck)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1992 Dodge Dakota problem (Grandpa's truck)

Well yesterday I was going to go fill up gas in my grandpa's truck and I heard a loud pop from underneath the truck. I filled up the truck just like usual and the truck won't start, it is carbed and the gas station was on a incline so I put the truck in netural to roll the truck down the incline so the carb could get fuel. Well I ended up using starting fuild to spray into the carb to get it to start. It eventually started but started missing like a SOB big time. I thought maybe spark plug wire loose=nope I checked all of them and I checked the coil wire and that is secure? I thought maybe the timing chain is messed up but it was not acting up before. The passagner side cat converter is cherry red when truck is on BIG TIME. Do any of you guys know what the problem (s) could be? I can get a video if need be. Also the truck will not start it has juice just won' turn over.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The cat shouldn't be red! It's gotta be plugged up or something, that would make it run horrible. Remove the cat, it'll probably run fine again. If it does, you could put it back on after gutting it, or if you have to pass emissions tests you would probably have to buy a new one.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have narrowed it down to timing and cat.