General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crazy ass vibration when I let out the clutch and the drivetrain gets loaded up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crazy *** vibration when I let out the clutch and the drivetrain gets loaded up.

Seems when I get going from a standstill and give it a lil extra gas and load up the drivetrain a lot I get this CRAZY rattling sound from under the car. If I kinda baby it off the line it wont do it. When I hear the noise it seems to do it when the motor gets some load on it, but I am not quite moving yet. After rolling its perfectly fine. It will make the noise in first or second right before and as i start rolling for a second or two. My buddy laid next to the car and said it sounds like its coming from up around the bellhousing area and it looks like the motor is shaking with the same frequency as this rattling sound. Kinda sounds like someone is taking a air hammer to the bottom of my car!

I was doing some other work on the car and noticed the engine moves more then it should when I rev it up. Seems the motor mounts may be a lil beat up. Is this something common when motor mounts/trans mounts go bad? I have motor and trans mounts and was gonna do the trans mount first to see if it would help. I am going to do a motor and trans swap soon so I just want to do enough work to get me by as a daily driver for now till the big project starts.

Just want to know whats hitting and how bad this really is.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone wanna take a stab at it? Does this sound like a common motor or trans mount problem?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a crazy sound coming from under mine when the rpms were low. but as the rpms got to like 2 it went away. My problem was the exhaust pipe was hitting the cross brace thing about in the middle of the car. i just bent it a little. Dont know if its the same problem but good luck.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Transmission mount gets my vote. I've gone through a few of them.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

I have a similar problem. I think the sound and vibration is the MAC y-pipe hitting the floor under my seat when the engine torques over... It may be caused by weak motor / transmission mounts though.