General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

General Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default General Tune?

This may not be the right place to post this, so if it's not. Just go ahead and move it to the correct section.

I wanna take my car in to get a general maintenance tune up. However, ive never done this before. I know, some shop's will just change your plugs & wires and call it a tune up. Ive already done that myself though. So what all do i ask them to do, instead of this??
Old 04-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Nothing. What more do you want? Modern cars really don't do a "tune up" as in the days before everything began using fuel injection and computers to run the engine. So, you're done after plugs and wires.

If you're wondering about a dyno "tune" where a tuner adjusts air/fuel mix and timing and such, it's not worth the high cost and small performance increase you see on an unmodified motor.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
If you're wondering about a dyno "tune" where a tuner adjusts air/fuel mix and timing and such, it's not worth the high cost and small performance increase you see on an unmodified motor.
AGREED, unless you can get one done VERY inexpensively, and NEVER plan on doing even mod 1 to the engine.
Then it might be worth it.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only other general tuneup items in addition to plugs/wires are:

-air filter
-fuel filter
-transmission fluid & filter
-rear diff fluid
-front o2 sensors
-maybe run some seafoam through it
Old 04-24-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Oh ok, thanks guy's. I wasnt sure, thought maybe there's something else to do.

Ill probably do what you have suggested Jmm98LS1.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would just change the fuel filter, rear diff fluid, air filter, and seafoam it. You should be good to go then
Old 04-26-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Yeaa, think i am gonna do that. I just need to re-clean the K&N Filter, or i may just get the regular FRAM Air-Filter as i used to, before i got the K&N.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah those things mentioned are good to do. As soon as I got my LS1 I wanted to take super good care of it and make sure things were always in good condition and I would know of anything beginning to wear and need replacing. It depends on where you go but where I live there's a smaller shop in town that does superb work at very straight up, fair, no bs costs and everyone there is honest. I took my car their before storage and now (for spring) to get it checked out, basically when ever I change my oil I spend a bit more for an inspection. In alot of cases I find it's better to go to the smaller shop's instead of big dealerships. So I recommend if you know any good shop's where you live to start taking your car there and over time you'll get to know the people working on it etc and you'll be able to establish some peace of mind and good friendships.

Just my 2 cents.