General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pulsing interior/exterior lights? + Fueling issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsing interior/exterior lights? + Fueling issue

Occasionally when I fire my car up at night the interior lights in the dash and center console and the exterior lights "pulse"

Can't really think of a better word to describe it.....They will do it the entire time I drive the car and even if I turn the car off and restart it the lights continue to "pulse"

If I turn the car off but leave the headlights on the issue stops and then starts back up again once the car is started.

When I bought the car 8 or 9 months ago it still had the original battery in it and the car had 17,800 on the clock.......The battery's green light was no longer lit so I replaced it with an Optima RedTop battery and it seems like this problem started shortly there after.

Ideas????

----------------------------------
Fueling issue.....

Never had an issue before today but twice the car has sputtered at start up......Once after driving it for 45 minutes or so and the weather was fairly warm today.......and the second time just a bit ago after it had been sitting for several hours in the cool night air.

It started both times and seemed to run alright afterward.

I haven't replaced the fuel filter as of yet and not sure if the previous owners did either......Car has 34k on it now....

So, I was going to start by replacing the fuel filter.........Any other ideas beyond that?

EDIT: Also, not sure if this matters much, but this tank of gas I have has some of the Lucas injector cleaner in it.....Hadn't run any through my system in quite a while and figure it could use it.

Last edited by LS1>*; 04-26-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be the altenator check it out to see what its putting out. Also dose the car have an aftermarket Pully they have been know to have charging issues. Dont trust your gague in the dash put a mulitmeter on the alt to check it.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLACK2001SS
Could be the altenator check it out to see what its putting out. Also dose the car have an aftermarket Pully they have been know to have charging issues. Dont trust your gague in the dash put a mulitmeter on the alt to check it.
Stock pully........Guages aren't doing anything weird........The lights pulse but nothing else seems to be affected.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Found another thread discussing the same issues I'm having with the "pulsing"

Looks like the regulator in my alternator has eaten itself and I'll have to replace it.........

Fuel filter will get changed next Tuesday.....

If anyone has any other ideas or info, please post them up.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spark plug wires could be grounding! check to see if it gets different if you rev it up!
Old 04-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ae13291
spark plug wires could be grounding! check to see if it gets different if you rev it up!
Nope, it stays at exactly the same pattern no matter what I do unless I turn the car off but keep the lights on.....It goes away if the car isn't running, but then comes back as soon as I start the car back up.....

It doesn't always do it.....I'd say problem 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 times I start it at night and the lights come on it is doing it.....
Old 04-26-2008, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

replace alternator = problem solved

happened on both 4th gens in my sig
Old 04-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98FreakZ
replace alternator = problem solved

happened on both 4th gens in my sig
Excellent! Thanks!
Old 10-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Teching In

yea.. altenator.. happened to me bout 3 weeks ago.. was getting 1.8 amps outta my Alt... get that fixed before it fry's your battery.. did mine.