General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rear hatch shock mount broke!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear hatch shock mount broke!

i dunno when or how the hell it happened, but after a month of having worries my rear was on its way out with random clunking it seems that the culprit was the rear driver side shock mount on the hatch. Seems the mounting plate on the insid eof the hatch broke off, so now there is an inch of travel up and down when the hatch is closed. basicly the shock is banging on the plastic trim on the bottom of the hatch. Anyone seen this before? I was thinkin of just wrapping a bit of hose around the shock to space it out from the plastic hatch cover.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Fix it right... Go to the junkyard and take apart another hatch to get the plate. Whether you sell the car or keep it you'll be happier. The part can't be more than $5 at pick your part.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Launching!

how the heck does the hatch come apart? i couldnt find a way to get it open. The plate looks sandwiched between the upper and lower layers which are sealed together
Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Now that's a good question. I've never had the opportunity to take one of these apart... I have to believe they come apart though.

Much as I'd like to help, I'm not ready to start disassembling mine. You should try taking one apart at the junkyard. That way when you break stuff it isn't a problem.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

JB weld
Old 05-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Launching!

there isnt one of these with a hatch on it within 50 miles of me... i already looked....JB weld might work, i just cant figure out how to get it in there. my little ghetto fix of a bump stop on the shock seems to have worked... keep you posted.