General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Which trans service is recommended

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which trans service is recommended?

I have an 01 z28 w/AT 30K mi. Is a flush type service recommended or is it better to drop the pan and replace the filter. I bought this car over the winter, the trans has probably never been serviced but the fluid looks good and doesn't smell burned. Since I'm taking it to a dealer for service was wondering what you guys recommend. A couple of dealers are telling me to flush (which also flushes the filter???), another says drain and fill, tranny shop says drain and fill. so I'm getting a mixed bag of answers....Thanks

Last edited by Alex212; 05-06-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With that mileage I would just drop the pan and change the filter.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex212
I have an 01 z28 w/AT 30K mi. Is a flush type service recommended or is it better to drop the pan and replace the filter. I bought this car over the winter, the trans has probably never been serviced but the fluid looks good and doesn't smell burned. Since I'm taking it to a dealer for service was wondering what you guys recommend. A couple of dealers are telling me to flush (which also flushes the filter???), another says drain and fill, tranny shop says drain and fill. so I'm getting a mixed bag of answers....Thanks
With mileage that low, I wouldn't bother doing anything to it if the fluid looks good. However, the flush thing is a scam to overcharge people for minimal work.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gametech
With mileage that low, I wouldn't bother doing anything to it if the fluid looks good. However, the flush thing is a scam to overcharge people for minimal work.

Dropping the pan should be just fine....However, the flush is not a scam, I have a flush machine at work, and if you check the fluid next to new stuff it looks identical. The pan & filter service only changes the fluid sitting in the pan, leaving the lines, radiator, & trans cooler (if applicable) full of old fluid.

If you were drinking a glass of water & dirt got in it, would you pour out half of the water & top it off with fresh? My guess is you would dump the whole thing for new.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:30 PM

i go to school for automotive technology and the flush is not a scam. sure the person hooks up the machine and walks away. but it completely flushes your system until your fluid looks super clean. trans fluid is really messy and sticky so i wouldnt recommend dropping the pan unless you want to save like 50 or 60 bucks
Old 05-07-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

30k miles??? I would just drop the pan, replace the filter too.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Launching!

GM service manual doesn't call for a flush, so dropping the pan (and changing the filter) is fine. The problem with a flush is that unless you specify that it be done the shop doesn't change your filter, so you get all clean fluid but a dirty filter. FWIW, my car had its pan dropped at 25k and 75k and it's fine.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Teching In

You don't need a flush, especially since they 'backflush' your tranny. Just think, all of the crap that your filter catches, is going back through your tranny, in a direction that it should not go through holes/valves, etc. If you want to change ALL of your fluid, you can do a search for complete transmission fluid change. I am not extremely familiar with Firebird/Camaro trannies but, for my Jeep the general recommendation (from those that don't stand to profit from the 'flush' machines) is to unhook the output line running to the cooler/radiator. Let the engine run (the transmission does not pump in park on the Jeeps) and let it pump about 2-3 quarts of fluid at a time, add in the proper amount of fluid and continue until the fluid is coming out clear/new. At 30k you should be fine with just doing fluid/filter change. People have run vehicles for well over 100k without transmission service. If you follow the recommended service intervals the fluid stays pretty fresh. My $.02- FWIW

A transmission flush has it's place, I do not believe that it is with your vehicle.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

I also feel dropping the pan is the way to go, but after calling around I got allot of mixed information. The thing that bothers me about the flush service is that they charge you $50 more and you still have the same filter. I understand getting all the fluid out if i had higher mileage but in my case I think changing the filter is more important. My local dealer will drop the pan replace the filter and re-fill for $90...works for me...Thanks to all for your input...greatly appreciated!