General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TA won't start....garage queen

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default TA won't start....garage queen

What's up fellas? Longggg time no talk having some problems over here. I sat my TA last August, gonna let her rest and pull her out when she reaches "classic" status and then enjoy her when I am older. I had the oil changed and spark plugs changed right before I sat her, and also a full tune. Every 4-5 days I would go out and start her up, let her get to op. temp and once a week I would driver her around the block a few times. Well 3 days ago I slacked whiel away on vacation and when I started it up it needed a jump. Now today I can't even jump start the car, when I turn the key over it just clicks repeatedly. Windows work radio works, trunk even popped for no reason once. Would this indicate the starter is bad???
Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bad battery sounds more like it.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
bad battery sounds more like it.
Even if the radio and windows work when I turn the key over?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Exclamation gota drive da *****

hi battery is too low to turn it over, throw a charge on it , i've been through the same even with a red top optima ???? the around the block doesn't cut it in keeping the battery charged, been there done that longer rides now 02 hawk garage queen !!!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So charge her first for awhile than make sure I get some longer rides in? TIA
Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Or, get one of these (or equivalent trickle-charger)
http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP4420...ductDetail.htm
Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup charge it and actually drive it

you do realize that starting it every few days and occasionally just takin it around the block is doing more harm then good
Old 05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
yup charge it and actually drive it

you do realize that starting it every few days and occasionally just takin it around the block is doing more harm then good
How come? Any suggestions for proper care for sitting the car? TIa
Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sat my car for a few months this past winter . When I tried to crank it I had similar problems . Thing is I though that my red top optima was striaght . Well after letting it charge overnight tried to turn it over and it would not do it . Lights worked and everything just not enough charge to crank it when underload .

So , went and borrowed my friends battery tester and it would not charge past 15% . Went and bought a new battery and it cranked right up no problems . Turns out that my red top optima once it goes down there is no bringin it back . I guess I should have took the battery out before letting it sit for so long and put it on a charger to make sure it holds a 100% charge or close to .
Old 05-08-2008, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hurley711
How come? Any suggestions for proper care for sitting the car? TIa
Only taking the car around the block will not get everything up to operating temps. You need to drive the car at least 20-30 miles or so for a full warm up to burn off condensation in the motor, exhaust system etc. Just taking it around the block and then turning it off just leaves moisture sitting in the internals and in the oil, not want you want to preserve the car for a long time. Also starting up every 4-5 days is completely unnecessary, if your going to start the car, drive it don't just let it sit and idle (to burn off that moisture)

I would let it sit for at least 3-4 weeks at a time, then pick the nicest day of the month and go for your 20 mile drive and repeat etc. With this method you'd only put on maybe 400 miles a year total and no moisture would be left to damage the engine when you let er sit for those 3-4weeks. You could probably even go 6 weeks in between your drives. The key is to keep everything lubricated while not letting moisture sit in the engine etc.

Also keep that fuel fresh with STABIL so it doesn't gum up the fuel injectors. I would also change the oil at least every 8-10 months (and keep synthetic it in if you don't already).

As far as the battery goes, get a battery tender or you might be able to just get away with a Optima Yellow top deep cycle battery which is designed to handle extended periods of discharge.

I would also keep the tire pressures in check (probably good to keep them at maximum) to prevent flat spotting.

Hope this helps
Old 05-08-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it does GREATLY thanks! I have the tires inflated to 38 PSI, should I go higher? IS there a chance that I charge the battery all the way up and drive it for awhile and afterwards it still won't hold the charge for the next time I try to start it? Also where can you buy Stabil at? Local auto store or onlline?Thanks for all of the advice in here BTW
Old 05-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Im bad about this myself....i only have 2100 miles on my WS6 and i only put 15 miles on it last year. I start it up and let it run for about 20-30 minutes and rev it to clean it out a lil (if that even does anything). I prolly do this once every couple weeks. Battery did go dead this winter and had to charge it up but been good so far. Everyone always busts my ***** as to why i dont drive it, but its almost like u cant park it anywhere without some idiot wanting to pull in 6 inches from u and it gets alot of attention and i cant stand people wanting to touch and open my car up...that really bugs the hell outta me.
To the OP, once u run the car u should be fine with the battery but if ur like me, I still have the original battery in my '02 so it could go at any time and like said before, it doesnt help with leaving them sit so long. U can get Stabil at Wal-Mart or Advance Auto, etc....its not hard to find.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys I appreciate all of the help
Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

I really think if you drive that 20-30 miles every 4 weeks or so you won't have a problem with the battery going on you. I think it was just the around the block drive that didn't give it enough charging time. I would suggest investing in a good battery such as optima, I've been using them for a few years with good results.

The Stabil stuff can be found at just about any auto parts store, its good stuff. I use it in all my lawn equipment, snowblower and atv. It's fine for all 2 & 4 cycle engines. Keeps the gas fresh for up to 1 year.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Also, get yourself a dehumidifier. It'll prevent moisture buildup, which we all know will result in mold, mildew and corrosion.

Keeps the car smelling fresh as well.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

My 94' TA sat for 6+ months straight, fired right up last week. I also have a red top.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to bring closure to this thread in case someone else reads it at some point it was the battery. Charged it up overnight and she started right up! Thanks guys!