General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wierd Noise/Vibration at Idle after Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Noise/Vibration at Idle after Road Trip

Backstory: I drove my car home from Phoenix, AZ to Minneapolis, MN and during the trip (I believe somewhere in Colorado) I noticed that at idle, I could feel this intermittent vibration. I have a real hard time describing this but I'll try my best:

-It only happens at idle, the minute you get on the gas it seems to go away
-The car idles completely normal and holds a constant RPM
-The vibration and noise seems to be kind of a ticking at random, as in its like tick tick...tick..tick.............tick....tick..tick.. ....tick.tick, etc.
-You can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and a little through the floorboard, but you can only feel it on the driver's side
-With the hood popped you can barely hear it, and only on the driver's side of the engine

So after a bunch of diagnosing, me and a buddy are thinking it's a power steering pump on its way out. When turning lock to lock, it occasionally makes the sound of sucking through a straw as you just finish a drink. I was a little low on power steering fluid so I added some but that didn't do anything to stop the problem. However, you can't even notice any difference in the power steering when driving which is wierd. It seems completely normal. By the way, my car has 109k on it and nearly 2k of that was from the road trip.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?
Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Man I know what you mean a bout the vibration.

If my car is cold, and i roll to a stop, it feels like its still trying to "go" and there is some vibration. if i let off the gas the vibration stops but then is back again if i come to a stop. Once it warms up it is always gone for me though.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Wow, old thread . Mine was cured after my bolton install (headers, ls6 intake, poly motor mounts, and new belts). Good luck!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

yea I'd prolly put it on a mount
Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Teching In

My problem sounds similar, but I think it is caused by something else. After about four hours of driving on interstate without stopping or much change is speed, I pull in and shut it off to fill up and wash the windshield. After I start it and pull into a drive-thru for some food, I drive about two miles till I get out of town. During this time, it idles rough, but you don't notice it by the RPM gauge. I can feel the motor idle through the floor and really bad through the shifter (man trans). It trips the SES light from a miss. After I am back on the road, it is fine, and of couse the SES light turns off by the next day sometime. This has happened many times on my gas stop after 4 hours of driving. I wonder if it has something to do with having all this heat from driving so far (T/A's don't have very good airflow through motor bay without a grill), and then shutting off the motor right away. Temp gauge reads just under 210 the whole time. Really stumped too, going to check plugs.

2002 T/A WS6
-EGR delete
-Dyno Tuned
-LT SLP Headers, LM2, No cats
- SLP air box - K&N filter
- SLP pulley

Last edited by wildbird02; 10-06-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

I took my car on a loooong trip although it idle fine and ran fine through out the trip a few days later after the trip I had a bad chugging when the car tried to ger out of over drive.
Found out I had 5 out of 8 plugs that the ceramic was cracked.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Well, it did the same thing again this weekend on the same trip. Even after changing plugs last week. Still stumped. Any ideas?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean your MAF. Next check out the O2 sensors. How old are the plug wires themselves?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Teching In

O2 Sensors have less than 30k on them and the same for plug wires which are MSD. I changed all that when i installed the SLP LT's. How would you go about cleaning the MAF?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They sell MAF cleaner in a spray bottle (like WD-40) for $4.00. Take the MAF off, spray it with the cleaner and use q-tips to gently wipe down the 3 wires in the MAF.