General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear 'Brake' Lights not functioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear 'Brake' Lights not functioning

Not the ABS/INOP.

All the other threads just end up no where without finding the cause.

Have checked all the bulbs, Brake switch (mounted down by the brake) all came out fine. The 3rd brake light works.

We currently have this problem so, First thing I'm going to change is the Turn Signal Switch since everything else I've check or tested is fine

There is one on APW http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QACD6210A.html which I will try when it ships and I can install it, then post back here.

Anyone ever come across this problem or fix it?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

I had this problem about two years ago with my v6, i brought it into a shop and it was fixed in about 15 minutes. They double checked all the connections and voila!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

If my front DRL or turn signal burns out, my tail light usually goes out too. It doesn't burn out, just turns off. Once I replace the front light, they all work normally again. Strange GM wiring I guess
Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomustang

Anyone ever come across this problem or fix it?
Try changing the bulbs. How did you check? Take it out and look at the filament?
It's not always that.

Why are you changing the turn signal switch? The third brake light works and it's powered off the same source as the other lights.
Did you try a volt meter in the bulb sockets?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Ok, all within 3 hours I've bought one Turn Signal Switch from Autozone for only $30, removed everything to get to it, replaced it, and now the brake lights work fine.

If you already know how to remove steering wheels than I would have to say the harder parts are:

1. pulling the wiring harness out from the steering column
2. The single coil that holds the black metal wheel lock in place. According to all the manuals I've read you need a special puller to remove the black steering lock out, this is not true (unless other years/models vary, you need to pull out the single coil and that is what holds it in place.

And for ***** and giggles I had my wife call the local Pontiac stealership for a quote to replace the Turn signal switch, it was $430, in which parts were $180.

If anyone has any questions post here or pm me
Old 05-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Try changing the bulbs. How did you check? Take it out and look at the filament?
It's not always that.

Why are you changing the turn signal switch? The third brake light works and it's powered off the same source as the other lights.
Did you try a volt meter in the bulb sockets?
The switch harness is were it all ties together, it's not the switch but I believe the wiring, when I pulled it out I saw that one of the connections were burnt, think the white one but didn't really check out the others
Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomustang
The switch harness is were it all ties together, it's not the switch but I believe the wiring, when I pulled it out I saw that one of the connections were burnt, think the white one but didn't really check out the others
Well thats good to know, thanks for the info.
Makes sense that the third brake light still worked, it's got to be run from another power source in case one fails you still have some kind of functional brake light.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Teching In

For anyone else needing this, although the schematic in the manual is adequate, the .PDF sreve posted in this thread under Newbie Tech was the most informitive as it has the pin indicators to the harness (X-ref ACDelco Part # D6210A) as well as a better locational description where each harness is located.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/692599-brake-lights-out.html

As Mr. Mustang mentioned when we pulled the switch harness the start circuit connector (white) was toast. All other connectors were fine.

After speaking with the stealership advisor, I simply could not add enough parts together to substantiate their quote cost, unless they figured to replace the lever, switch and every retaining clip and screw involved in the process. I found it funny that the advisor sounded somewhat disgusted that I asked for the exact part replacement and he told me "You know sweatheart, this is a pretty expensive part to replace if your guesssing."....

Anyways...thank you my dear for getting me all fixed up. I owe you $428.00.

~Jenn~