General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need a new A/C compressor (thoughts?)

Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need a new A/C compressor (thoughts?)

Pretty much at this point if you turn on the a/c, the compressor makes a large knocking sound and just leaks out whatever freon it had in it...

GMparts direct has one for 400bux new (not sure if it comes with the extras though)

-----------------------------------------
where as this one is also new and i think comes with the extras for 400 as well

Do brand names really matter on a compressor? I'd rather not buy a used/rebuilt one as I just want one that can take the abuse from 24/7 usage in Houston

thanks
-Marcus
Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM or don't plan on fixing it.

It comes as pictured above. I paid 400 for mine and it has been working for 3 years.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Teching In

appreciate it, i'll order a new one of gmparts direct
Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Banned

If your compressor is that bad I hope thats not all you're changing, and I hope you're not just going to swap it out, throw in some freon and expect cold air.

Are you familiar with AC repair?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Teching In

i was just assuming it was the compressor

i know some folks say the dryer should be changed, in my understanding a dryer is just pulling the moisture out of the air

i just dont understand the whole clutch concept with the compressor?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Banned

The drier (actually the accumulator has the drier built into it) never touches air, the refrigerant runs through it and it removes any air or contaminates from it.

When your compressor goes bad it pumps all the garbage through the system, less than 18 inches away is the condenser, all this garbage usually gets stuck there and cannot be removed or flushed out. If you don't do anything about that, all the garbage from your last compressor can ruin your new one.

What ever debris from the compressor that makes it through the condenser will get stuck in the orifice tube.

The accumulator is a disposable part much like an oil filter in the sense that if you had a rod bearing fail you wouldn't keep the same oil filter on the car even though it has 5 miles on it.

The evaporator usually won't get any junk in it from the compressor but it should be flushed because it contains an unmeasureable amount of oil. Oil circulates with the refrigerant, too much oil effects heat transfer which makes your AC not blow as cold as it should.

To do it right you need to get a new compressor $400, new condenser $200, new accumulator $85, orifice tube $7, seal kit $8, 9 ounces of PAG150 oil $10, two 12 ounce cans of 134a (1.5 pounds) $14.
Flush the evaporator and lines that are going to be reused, install all the new parts, add a few ounces of the oil to the compressor, evap, cond.

Use an inert gas (nitrogen) and a trace amount of refrigerant and do a leak check.

Connect a vacuum pump and let it pull a vacuum for at least an hour.

Add refrigerant.

It will work like new if you do it like this.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't know how much cash you have to spend...but I got my A/C completely redone by my local Pontiac dealership, compressor and all the other parts, for $800. Came with a lifetime parts and labor warranty. Nevwer have to worry about A/C trouble again and will never spend another penny on it either.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Teching In

thank you very much for the posts, steered me in the right direction.

tired of not havin real a/c so might as well order it all and do it right

Search this Thread