General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car starting problem.

I'm confused as to what the problem is with my car (a 98 z28). It won't start. When I turn the key, it makes a clicking sound, but doesn't start. I've replaced the battery, and nothing. I'd think it was the starter, but everytime someone jumps me, though, it turns right over. Also, when I try to start it (without being jumped) the trip odometer resets. I'm thinking maybe something in a connection...maybe the connection to the starter. Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Well, the jump starting and odo resetting tells you that you definately have an electrical issue, not mechanical (do your guages also sweep all the way to the right as well?).

How logn ago was the battery installed? You might try cleaning your battery connections if there's any oxidation on them that is preventing a good electrical connection.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

mines use to make a clicking sound also and would sometimes start when jumped.when i took off the starter the little spinning end was broken in half.I have no idea how it would start sometimes.Check your starter.Its not that hard to take off.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Teching In

The gauges also change when I try to crank it. While it clicks, the speedo goes to 25 mph and the fuel goes to full and the rpms go to like 1500. I'm stumped...
Old 05-22-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd recommend you start by checking for corrosion on your main harness that runs between the battery, alternator, and starter.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the engine to battery ground cable...make sure its clean and tight on the block. Also check the ground connections on the back of the driver side cylinder head and make sure they are clean and tight. The PCM gets its ground through the block and if the cable that runs from the battery to the block is corroded or loose you can get all sorts of weird problems.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a ground, or you have something using the battery while your car is off which is draining it

after you get it jumped and shut the car off, will it start right back up again?