General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

white smoke question fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke question fuel pump?

so this is my problem the car has hard start ups when its hot.... also when i hit on it hard it throws white smoke out....... but at idle no problem.....i have new starter new plugs and wires on my car......... what could it be?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You run it below 1/4 tank much? These cars will burn up the pump if there is not enough fuel to cool it in the tank. I had to replace one in my turdgen for that very reason.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by griever
so this is my problem the car has hard start ups when its hot.... also when i hit on it hard it throws white smoke out....... but at idle no problem.....i have new starter new plugs and wires on my car......... what could it be?
white smoke at crusie speeds means burning oil. Hard start ups when the engine is hot usually means a weak battery. White smoke coming out of the pipes when you nail it during cruise speeds is usually bad valve seals, but it will not do this at low speeds or sitting still revving it up.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Teching In

you reminded me the battery is about a month old 2.......i took it to a speed shop and asked for there opinion they said the pump is going.......said my programer was running the max fuel it could to just run it right and that now the pump is weaker so its running it lean..........that makes sesnse?.... car still runs......wouldnt the pump just go out if it was bad.......anybody............
Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by griever
you reminded me the battery is about a month old 2.......i took it to a speed shop and asked for there opinion they said the pump is going.......said my programer was running the max fuel it could to just run it right and that now the pump is weaker so its running it lean..........that makes sesnse?.... car still runs......wouldnt the pump just go out if it was bad.......anybody............
never heard of a pump slowly failing, I think they just fail. Now the filter could be all clogged up, at idle the engine would stall but during exceleration and cruise the pump would be pulling with enough pressure to get past the clog.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Teching In

i would check your fuel filter and then start looking at the pump.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

It sounds funny to me that a fuel pump would make any kind of smoke unless it was on fire. Then theres a different problem. What about a leaking head gasket? This will cause white smoke and hard starts. Just a guess.

Vinny

Quick Reply: white smoke question fuel pump?