General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C problems HELP before it gets hot.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C problems HELP before it gets hot.

When we did the cam swap last spring my buddy pulled the entire AC system out of the car before i got to his shop, which i had told him we didnt need to do. After putting everything back in and charging the system, it will only blow cold for a day then nothing. I know there is a leak somewhere i just dont know where and he doesnt know enough about A/C to really help me which means I gotta eat the money to fix it.

Do any of the chain automotive repair shops fix or repair A/C systems? Is there something I can do myself to diagnose the problem further and maybe fix myself. It gets VERY humid in DE during the summer months and even into the Fall and I dont want to deal with an all black interior again with 100* weather and high humidty. Thanks guys.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to leak check the system. This requires about 100 psi pressure, usually nitrogen and a small amount of refrigerant. Then either or both an electronic leak detector or soap bubble leak detector is used.
Then when you find the leak and fix it you need a vacuum pump.
So...in order to fix it right you need:
Access to a manifold gauge set
nitrogen
an electronic leak detector
a vacuum pump.
Thats a lot of special tools that you will not use very often once you get it done right.
I guess find a shop.